Contemplating my garden - Rose pics on Page 6

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, lovely blog, thank you for sharing! I wish I'd have had the forethought to bring the camera last Wednesday when I went there, but I think that brain fog had already started to creep in and I was unaware of the pending illness. Eh, each morning is a bit better, I'll get there....

I'll take some photos of the blooming roses later on today and post them tonight.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
your garden is magnificant! thanks so much for sharing!

I grew up in RI and remember those elephant rocks very well!!!

wow I am just blown away by what you have accomplished!

I am a nurse and we just recieved a huge batch of shingles vaccine (happy dancing here) ..and I usually do not talk about healthcare when I am not at work and really hate to give advise but if you have it available when you have resolved this case please consider getting the vaccine! ..hopefully your doctor will agree with me but ..even though you have had shingles ..it can greatly reduce the chance of it returning and if it does it reduces the severity of the pain misery it causes! Shingles are miserable I agree... I have cared for so many people with them in my years of nursing (there have been many) that even though this vaccine is not even 70% this one time in life I am pushing product! and I never do that! ...we had over 200 people on our wait list because the company fell short and I am just catching up now ..folks are so thankful as everyone knows someone who had shingles and suffered or they have had it themselves and do not want it again! I feel for you ...take good care and try not to stress if that is possible ..it seriously with this particular virus ..seems to help to try to relax and be as happy as possible..I know it sounds crazy and it has gotten me yelled at for suggesting it to a miserable person who wanted the pain to stop ...it is so hard to tell someone who is suffering to "cheer up" ..but funny movies ..silly books... laughter and rest can help reduce the length of time you are feeling bad ..I know because when people do this they come back and tell me "you were right! I finally got comfortable and put in a silly movie laughed so hard I felt better" :)

take care and again ..your garden is just so pretty

I want to do a thyme garden like your area with the pine cone in it ..smaller of course but then I want to put a sun dial in the middle ..maybe next year I am running out of room but think I have one spot it would be just lovely in

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Ann :frow

I have just received a new copy of David Austin's Rose Catalogue -- it is just wonderful -- full of amazing coloured pictures, advice & information. Best of all is that it's FREE.......!! Not many things are in this world. :love

You can order your US version here:-

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/Advanced.asp

It's a wonderful evenings read, or a wet day when you are longing to garden. I hope you enjoy it. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, I get it, and it's lovely, but unless he's gone back to offering his roses on their own roots I don't buy them - I won't do grafted roses anymore, I've only got one that's lasted. Idid buy Abraham Darby as a graft only because I missed the own root ones and really, really wanted to get him going out by the front arbor. If he doesn't make it, it'll be the last one. They just don't do well through our variable, harsh winters, no matter how well I protect them (except the one I show below).

Well, as promised, here are pictures of the roses that are in bloom:

First off is one that's been in the garden for years, it's Appleblossom, I have no idea now where I got it. It is the only grafted rose I've got out there remaining from many that I tried. Occasionally it sends up very thorny shoots from the root, but I just keep pulling them off, they're easy to spot:

appleblossom-sm.jpg

Next is Christopher Marlowe, one I bought last week. He is lovely, he opens as a pink bud, but as the blossom matures it develops this lovely buttery center. It's planted in the front border by the street, along my fence:

chrismarlowe-sm.jpg

The Rose of Lancaster is out back, in the border I'm converting over from shade. The soil out there is acid, I've added lime and other nutrients, along with some nice manure. This plant came from Old Sheeps Meadow Nursery up in Alfred, Maine, a couple of years ago, they spent a whole summer and winter in pots in the front yard waiting to go into the ground while I made up my mind, so they will take this season, no doubt, to regroup. It's a once bloomer, but I don't care, the old rose scent is heavenly!

lancaster-rose-sm.jpg

Rosa Mundi is out there, too, but she isn't blooming yet, pics will follow. I can't wait to get a nose full of that scent!

Rose de Rescht hasn't been planted yet, but here it is, again, the scent!

rose-de-rescht-sm.jpg

I do wish I could find a scented yellow that's hardy enough to last here, I'm still searching. I also want a Reines de Violettes, that's a lovely purple and smells wonderful! I do have a Pat Austin in the herb garden, but she's a wee thing yet, although she did produce one huge bloom that hung down into the dirt, she isn't strong enough to hold that weight yet - although I did see that's how they seem to bloom, with drooping blossoms. Don't know if I care for that much, but at least she's fragrant!

I forgot, I've got Gertrude Jekyll out there and didn't take her picture - I'll take one today. There are still three small roses that haven't bloomed yet, although Great Maiden's Blush has several buds ready to open. Can't wait!

Finally, here is part of the herb garden. The first photo shows how bad the weeds are, and the second shows the one quadrant I've finally finished mulching:

quadrant-weeds-sm.jpg

ETA I've got to remember to clear up the pots before I take a picture!!

quadrant-mulched-sm.jpg

The quadrant behind the mulched one has been weeded and I'm spreading the mulch there today. I'll run out of mulch on that bed, so the rest will be done next week, as funds allow.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
your garden is magnificant! thanks so much for sharing!

I grew up in RI and remember those elephant rocks very well!!!

wow I am just blown away by what you have accomplished!

I am a nurse and we just recieved a huge batch of shingles vaccine (happy dancing here) ..and I usually do not talk about healthcare when I am not at work and really hate to give advise but if you have it available when you have resolved this case please consider getting the vaccine! ..hopefully your doctor will agree with me but ..even though you have had shingles ..it can greatly reduce the chance of it returning and if it does it reduces the severity of the pain misery it causes! Shingles are miserable I agree... I have cared for so many people with them in my years of nursing (there have been many) that even though this vaccine is not even 70% this one time in life I am pushing product! and I never do that! ...we had over 200 people on our wait list because the company fell short and I am just catching up now ..folks are so thankful as everyone knows someone who had shingles and suffered or they have had it themselves and do not want it again! I feel for you ...take good care and try not to stress if that is possible ..it seriously with this particular virus ..seems to help to try to relax and be as happy as possible..I know it sounds crazy and it has gotten me yelled at for suggesting it to a miserable person who wanted the pain to stop ...it is so hard to tell someone who is suffering to "cheer up" ..but funny movies ..silly books... laughter and rest can help reduce the length of time you are feeling bad ..I know because when people do this they come back and tell me "you were right! I finally got comfortable and put in a silly movie laughed so hard I felt better" :)

take care and again ..your garden is just so pretty
HiDelight, thank you for your thoughtful post. I really had no idea the shingles could be so bad. I hope they never return! I had the chicken pox, a really good dose, when I was little, I do remember being very sick, but I was a kid. This was pretty bad, I hope they never come back again. My doctor said they likely wouldn't, because I'm generally very healthy, I am going back for a recheck on Friday, I'll mention the vaccine to him then. But you are right, it is affected by mood, things have been down here economically and I've been very depressed, the garden is my therapy, but I guess it wasn't enough to keep me from getting them. They're on the wane now, thankfully, and I know I have to find a way to not let things get me so down.

I want to do a thyme garden like your area with the pine cone in it ..smaller of course but then I want to put a sun dial in the middle ..maybe next year I am running out of room but think I have one spot it would be just lovely in
That would be lovely! Post pics when you get it in!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau those Roses are Beautiful :love :love :clap I can almost smell them :weight And your Herb Garden is Wonderful, it will be spectacular when you get it all mulched :thumbsup You do some wonderful work :tools

:happy_flower Karan :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I so love the roses... but I am head over heals for that herb garden! :rainbow-sun

I know the coffee bean shell mulch (if thats what is it) is expensive?! How much are you trying to scrape together per bag?! Will this last into next year or have to be replaced?!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem, it's cocoa bean hull mulch, and it's $8.99 at the local nursery, $7.99 at the feed and grain, for two cubic foot bags. I think I'll need a total of ten. The nursery has a $5.00 coupon I used this week, so I bought three bags and saved three dollars over what I would pay at the cheaper place. I can't find it for anything less!

Latest posts