Contemplating my garden - Rose pics on Page 6

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, Hattie, I had a lovely Louise Odier rose, but it was in that streetside garden and it succumbed to the road salt. I am doing a remove and replace of the soil out there where I'm planting roses, and plan on erecting protection for them from the road salt this coming winter. I will have roses out there, and they will flourish, or I will die trying - well, almost :gig :fl :old

What a lovely garden that is, thank you again for a wonderful link!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can I see a close up of the mulch?! I'm not finding a photo of the stuff online... the brown looks awesome, I just want to see the texture better?! The artist in me coming out through landscaping!!! :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Can I see a close up of the mulch?! I'm not finding a photo of the stuff online... the brown looks awesome, I just want to see the texture better?! The artist in me coming out through landscaping!!! :)
How's this?

mulch.jpg

And just because I promised, here are the first Rosa Mundi blooms:

rosamundi.jpg

I do wish that wasn't a once-bloomer, it's so sweet!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ann :frow

I love" Rosa Mundi" -- I had it in my last garden but found it a bit feeble (lovely smell though! I see yours has problems on it's leaves -- do you know what caused it? I have "Ferdinand Pichard" now as a near substitute -- It's pink & crimson striped with a bit of white & smells heavenly. It is out now & embracing "Albertine", both of them are moving towards my "Maiden's Blush".

I have a long path which runs in a straight line from my kitchen door to my back gate & I have planted it with some of my favourite roses & clematis. It also divides my woodland garden from the area where my raised vegetable beds are. It's also the best path for the wheelbarrow & heavy loads as it's paved (the others are large pebbles). Along this I erected a series of tall, very simple arches, more like door-frames, made of 4"x 4"painted the same blue as the wooden barn. A lot of the roses etc make their way up these & over to the otherside. They are gradually moving into the woodland area. I tend to buy the climbing or rambling versions of the varieties I grow because I like that romping look -- to me it's like living in fairyland!

I'm lucky as roses seem to love my soil & of course we have the right weather (most of the time, anyway) for them. This last very cold winter seems to have done them a lot of good -- I've hardly seen an aphid on them -- just a couple of greenfly about a month ago -- which I flushed off with the hose while watering. Nothing since although my neighbours seem
to be constantly spraying with chemicals..........! :barnie

The only other nasties I've seen were a few blackfly on the tops of my broad-beans so I nipped the tops off & they haven't come back. The beans are delicious & still producing more pods. They seem to be much taller this year. I'm 5' 4" & they are topping me. I've been snacking on them in the garden --gardener's perks!! :celebrate

I think your gardens are looking wonderful; everything looks so neat & tidy & so well thought out. You can see all the love & knowledge that has gone in to it -- CONGRATULATIONS :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie, we have lots of problems with roses here. That rose hadn't been sprayed with the organically approved insecticidal soap I usually use, so the aphids had really gotten to it. If I keep up with spraying the damage is usually minimal. Just the other day I found a rose chafer on my Rose de Rescht, that was pinched dead! I have yet to see a single rose growing around here that is truly 'carefree' except for those lovely but scentless Knockout roses you see everywhere now. I just have to be vigilant and I use nothing harsh, but I do have to spray.

I'll have to look for Ferdinand, he looks nice, although he gets quite a bit bigger than Rosa Mundi.

Now, I have to ask, what's up with the camera? I thought you had one but hadn't learned to use it? If I win the lottery I'll fly over there and teach you! We need to see your gardens!! I love masses of rambling roses, they just don't do that around here, our winters are far too harsh...as I've said, I do so envy you your climate. I know what the gardens look like over there, many of us can only dream, the only thing that comes close is the Pacific Northwest, I think.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Now, I have to ask, what's up with the camera? I thought you had one but hadn't learned to use it? If I win the lottery I'll fly over there and teach you! We need to see your gardens!! I love masses of rambling roses, they just don't do that around here, our winters are far too harsh...as I've said, I do so envy you your climate. I know what the gardens look like over there, many of us can only dream, the only thing that comes close is the Pacific Northwest, I think.
YES! What Ann said - we must see pictures of Fairyland! :ya I'd probably die of envy. :rolleyes:

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ann, I love that mulch. I was reading up on it last night and unfortunately it said it toxic to dogs and my dufus lab eats everything she can wrap her lips around. :( I've never seen it sold here.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, it's toxic to dogs especially if they have a high chocolate reaction. I had one lab who could eat Hersey bars by the dozens, but it would have killed my basset hound. There's a leash law around here, and I have no dog, so I'm going with it. You usually have to ask for it, my nursery doesn't display it, but they have it. I could have gone with buckwheat hulls, they're lovely, too, but at $18.99 a 2 cubic foot bag it would have cost me $150 to mulch the garden, and I don't have that kind of cash!!

Latest posts