Didn't use a recipe, @ninnymary .

• Soaked beans overnight then Changed water
  • Boiled then Drained
  • Added chicken broth and Mrs Dash
  • Boiled about another 10 minutes
  • Added shredded escarole leaves
  • Simmered about 8 or 10 minutes
  • Stirred in Greek yogurt and Served
I forgot to grind some black pepper. Which isn't like me - forgetting something is but I like to add the pepper to most anything. Could have minced a garlic clove and there was a store-bought onion but didn't saute those. It was my peasant Sunday lunch altho I shouldn't have used the 1st world shortcut with the Mrs Dash. There was a little complexity to the chicken broth but it was pulled from the freezer and I hadn't written anything on the bag about what had been done to it :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, sure.

But, I'm not knowledgeable about Italian households and if they would find canned beans as acceptable.

Perhaps it's okay as long as the Grandmothers & Great Aunts don't learn of it.

;) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... it is the one thing I cook
It is?!

Well then :)! Variations on a theme:

Scotch kale with beef, carrots and pearled barley. Pearled barley takes less than an hour to cook. Carrots come in a can. I've never bought roast beef in a can ... think I'd want to rinse the "gravy" off of it and replace it with beef broth. Cook the barley in the broth, too. That's about the way my mom would make beef and kale soup.

I like to use the hot Italian sausage we find in the store for Portuguese kale soup. Probably not traditional at all but I like it better than a smoked sausage. Cutting up the sausage and cooking it with some chopped onions and then the kale in a skillet before dumping it all in a pot with beans ...

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure, sure.

But, I'm not knowledgeable about Italian households and if they would find canned beans as acceptable.

Perhaps it's okay as long as the Grandmothers & Great Aunts don't learn of it.

;) Steve
It's ok Steve, no one in my household is italian. :p

Mary

Latest posts