Cooking Oil

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually lard makes the best tasting cooking and frying oil but unless I was misinformed it's hell on the arteries. Tortillas made with lard are really tasty; much more so than those made with oil. In my younger days it was just about the only thing used and I made it this far in pretty good health so I guess it can't be too bad although I seldom use it any more.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, lard is the best for frying, but the lard at the store has been hydrogenated, so it will stay fresh longer, but it alters the lard and makes it so unhealthy. Rendering your own lard and keeping it in the freezer to keep it fresh is the best way to use lard........Nyboy are you up for this? :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, the information on what kind of oil is good for you is really controversial. Just a few years ago, coconut oil was considered the worst thing in the world; now, it's considered a super food.
I hadn't considered the GMO issue with peanut oil; I have been using it when I run out of lard (don't want to buy hydrogenated lard) Now if it is GMO, I need to rethink a few things.
I don't know how to tell if the EV olive oil is really EV olive oil, or motor oil. If the manufacturers can lie on the label, how are we to know? Especially imported oil. I don't even like the taste of olive oil! :(

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
don't use olive oil for frying. it burns too easily.
I would like to have some lard. that stuff in the grocery store is poison. that hydrogenated stuff is really bad for you - but if you can find fresh - it's supposed to be good for you. it's supposed to be the best thing in the world for pie crust too. there is a lard called leaf lard that is from a particular area of the pig & is supremo - I haven't had any luck finding any.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leaf lard is internal fat, not the fat covering the carcass under the skin. Makes me wish I had a dead pig.........

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about coconut oil until I read the above post by So Lucky. Teresa uses it instead of lard or shortening to make pie crusts and they come out just right. Apparently it also makes a pretty good base for hand and body cream because she will make up a batch of it and give away the excess to our Daughter Julie and her friends who think it's the greatest thing. They're constantly coming back asking for more. I told her she should package it and sell it but that would make it like work she says. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a little. How much depends on the brand. I think it is good for some things, not so good for others. For stir fry or something where coconut flavor would be welcome, or overpowered by other flavors, there is no problem.
Regarding leaf lard, I am going to ask around to see if I can find a local small farmer who plans to butcher this fall. I rendered some regular pig fat last year, and didn't have a meat grinder. It was a workout getting those slabs cut up. But the lard was good. All gone now! :(

Latest posts