Cooking Oil

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I thought in texas you couldn't step outside without running in to a wild pig ?
baymule said:
Leaf lard is internal fat, not the fat covering the carcass under the skin. Makes me wish I had a dead pig.........
Razorbacks seldom have much fat. Life in the wild keeps it off. Domestic hogs that have run wild have a little more but still not that much. (unless they have found someones still and are fattening on spent mash). :D

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
there is very little pig raising in this part of the country. mostly beef. I want pork darn it. thinking about this though makes me remember a guy who has a deer processing place & he said he did pigs too. I'm going to hunt him down & ask him about it. I might get lucky.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere that McDonalds used to use beef tallow to fry their French fries in, till vegetarians got wind of it and they had to stop. Do you remember when McDonalds' French fries were the best thing ever? Beef tallow is still great to use for savory dishes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I thought in texas you couldn't step outside without running in to a wild pig ?
baymule said:
Leaf lard is internal fat, not the fat covering the carcass under the skin. Makes me wish I had a dead pig.........
Wild hogs don't have much fat on them. I have butchered them, skinned them, cut them up and made sausage or bar-b-cue cuts. I cut what fat there was off, because it usually doesn't taste very good. Wild hog is a dark red meat, not the anemic pale stuff that passes as pork in the grocery stores.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I stopped reading this thread way too early! I finally got curious what all could be said after the explanation posts there at first. Fun!

I'll just add one thing since you asked about the flavor of coconut oil, NYBoy. I think all the oils have some of the flavor that you might expect from them. Peanut oil tastes like peanuts to me. Even common old corn oil tastes like corn. I really like the flavor of sunflower seed oil because I like . . . well, you get the idea :p. DW gets stuck (I think) on using either canola oil or olive oil whenever there's a need. It would probably be fun for me to have little bottles of oil on a rack and make selections on the basis of requirements and whims.

Maybe I should ask for something like that for Christmas!

Steve :)

Latest posts