Coolest Mantis EVER!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use to have a white flower mantis, there are so many cool types of mantis species. I have always wanted an orchid mantis, they are so pretty.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wild Mantis around here DO change color, slowly though. They go from green in summer to the color of straw by fall.

I've never heard of a pink one!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's super cool! I'm a big Mantis fan, every year I get eggs from a seller at Detroit's Flower Day and release them into the garden. I've never seen pink though! I wonder where its native to?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a Wiki lookup on pink mantises and it appears this particular species is found wherever orchids thrive. I think that means it would probably be found mostly in rain forests and jungles. There are many, many varieties of them but this one is probably the prettiest one I've ever seen. There is a pure white one that is cool too. Did you know they can grow to 12-inches in length?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
JimWWhite said:
I did a Wiki lookup on pink mantises and it appears this particular species is found wherever orchids thrive. I think that means it would probably be found mostly in rain forests and jungles. There are many, many varieties of them but this one is probably the prettiest one I've ever seen. There is a pure white one that is cool too. Did you know they can grow to 12-inches in length?
We found one last year on my Japanese Maple that had to be 8" or more. It was the biggest I ever found around here.

What I really found interesting is we found a spot where a bunch must have just hatched because there were a few dozen in my creeping jenny in the spring that year too, and they were so incredibly tiny. If they all didn't scatter and I wasn't down on my knees, I would have never seen them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So is this super slim fellow a mantis or a stick bug?

8721_350x700px-ll-00214839_393079_580650138632287_1053810277_n.jpg

Not quite as pretty as the pink one, but still a very cool insect.

Latest posts