Corn Hunt, 2022

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found Baker Creek's original byline and they say Indian berries grows about 4-5 feet tall.

They do say, however, that the ears set REALLY low to the ground (only a few feet), so you may want to add extra protection against animal damage.
Thanks, I saw something for Baker Creek, but it was on Facebook, which I don't do at all. I tried their regular website, but there was nothing there about Indian Berries.

I was planning on an electric fence to keep the critters out. Not too high, but high enough they just can't jump over and enough voltage to keep them from climbing it. Just got to worry about squirrels jumping into the corn patch.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw something for Baker Creek, but it was on Facebook, which I don't do at all. I tried their regular website, but there was nothing there about Indian Berries.

I was planning on an electric fence to keep the critters out. Not too high, but high enough they just can't jump over and enough voltage to keep them from climbing it. Just got to worry about squirrels jumping into the corn patch.
You can use the Wayback Machine at archive.org to pull up an old version.

Here is their page for Indian Berries from 2015.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner have you consider what you found isn't Indian Berries but Strawberry D-Lite (or De-lite, or Delite)? I was googling around for Strawberry Corn and it popped up, no pun intended. Here are some pictures from 3 different places selling the seed. I hope it is okay to post the pictures using links. I hate doing that, but I don't "own" the pictures, so I'm not comfortable uploading them.
1307_Strawberry_De-Lite_F1_Ornamental_Corn__71021.1542049729.jpg
80cfbba570a678872f3f2195846f2ac0_1024x1024.jpg
82370.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not at all impossible. That's what I kept referring to as Stawberries and Cream. The difference (I thought) was that Strawberry Delite didn't have purple (some of the pictures show it, but the official description doesn't). So I assumed that some of the pictures had gotten crossed.
I suppose the only way to be sure would be to get confirmed seed (or better, ears) of both and compare them side by side to see what the actual difference is.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's not at all impossible. That's what I kept referring to as Stawberries and Cream. The difference (I thought) was that Strawberry Delite didn't have purple (some of the pictures show it, but the official description doesn't). So I assumed that some of the pictures had gotten crossed.
I suppose the only way to be sure would be to get confirmed seed (or better, ears) of both and compare them side by side to see what the actual difference is.

Well, I've ordered seed for Strawberry Delite from two different places and I'll post a picture of the seed when it arrives. I noticed in one of the pictures that there are pointed seeds and flat or rounded top seeds. I'll go see if I can find any Strawberries and Cream seed for sale.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I've ordered seed for Strawberry Delite from two different places and I'll post a picture of the seed when it arrives. I noticed in one of the pictures that there are pointed seeds and flat or rounded top seeds. I'll go see if I can find any Strawberries and Cream seed for sale.
Don't bother, Strawberries and Cream is what I THOUGHT Strawberry D-lite was called. Such a corn does not exist, or, if it does, it is unrelated to this.

Officially the rounded kernels are referred to as "pearl" type and the pointed ones as "rice" type. Both of the corns are primarily rice type, but there is some variation as to HOW pointy the kernels are. Fortunately, I don't recall there being any "razor tip" in the mix (sometimes, the kernel can get SO pointy that the tip of the pericarp can literally become a razor sharp needle, making shelling (getting the kernels off the cob) without heavy gloves quite painful.)

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't bother, Strawberries and Cream is what I THOUGHT Strawberry D-lite was called. Such a corn does not exist, or, if it does, it is unrelated to this.

Officially the rounded kernels are referred to as "pearl" type and the pointed ones as "rice" type. Both of the corns are primarily rice type, but there is some variation as to HOW pointy the kernels are. Fortunately, I don't recall there being any "razor tip" in the mix (sometimes, the kernel can get SO pointy that the tip of the pericarp can literally become a razor sharp needle, making shelling (getting the kernels off the cob) without heavy gloves quite painful.)
Thank you. I'll stop trying to find Strawberries and Cream then. Also, thanks for the info on the kernel types. You are a font of information. But now I want to try and get the Indian Berries from Europe! Guess I'll have to get a small lot seed import permit.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Have you ever used an electric fence before?
When I rented space for my horses years ago the owner thought an electric fence was preferable to Fixing fences.
When you forget and touch it/grab it, the surge goes Right through you to the ground bc you become the circuit connection.
Just thought you should know.
Chicken wire is cheap and works,, too.

Last edited:

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you in my younger days I worked on farms during summers, so I have an idea about electric fences. But thanks for the reminder. It has been decades since then. DECADES! :old

Latest posts