Corn rows - tips?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my years of trying to grow corn. I planted some Andean corn, to get some of it's genetics in. Then we had a heavy rainstorm, and I discovered that Andean corn kernels 1. being made of extremely soft starch (like packing foam) and 2. often having air holes in their middles, float. Half my seed literally floated away! Now if I want Andean I put down cages as soon as I plant not only to keep pests away but to keep the seed anchored down.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my years of trying to grow corn. I planted some Andean corn, to get some of it's genetics in. Then we had a heavy rainstorm, and I discovered that Andean corn kernels 1. being made of extremely soft starch (like packing foam) and 2. often having air holes in their middles, float. Half my seed literally floated away! Now if I want Andean I put down cages as soon as I plant not only to keep pests away but to keep the seed anchored down.

huh! learned a new thing today! thanks! :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is aMAZING how much field corn gets left in the fields!! When I moved in my 5 acres, I said it was only 2 acres, with a fenced in field of corn. That extra 3 acres is my north pasture. The previous owners rented the field for growing corn that year and it hadn't yet been harvested. There were literally piles of corn not picked up.
The literally piles of corn was not caused by NOT being picked up, but rather that the harvester bin had a hole in it's bottom / side or the auger at the bottom of the holding bin was malfuctioning by the opening at the bottom not being completrly closed. Maintenance issue.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Why was the corn in piles?

Follow a new combine harvesting decent genetics grown by a competent farmer, mice will starve.

We bought 10 acres with our house and about 3 of those were being used by a farmer for growing corn. I followed behind it after it harvested to see what corn I could get for my chickens and was blown away with how efficient it was. Out of that whole area all I got was about 10 gallons of corn kernels

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
huh! learned a new thing today! thanks! :)

There are a LOT of things to learn about Andean corn, most of which fall under "why you should not bother to try." While the stuff is beautiful and the enormous (up to 15-20 feet) stalks impressive, its need for such an odd climate (basically early spring weather......for 270+ days!) means that growing it anywhere except the Andes is difficult to near impossible.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I
We bought 10 acres with our house and about 3 of those were being used by a farmer for growing corn. I followed behind it after it harvested to see what corn I could get for my chickens and was blown away with how efficient it was. Out of that whole area all I got was about 10 gallons of corn kernels
Impressed that you got that much. Usually behind a new combine in 100’ lucky to find a handful. They have meters that scream if any corn goes out the back. Everything is monitored on these new machines-for $500,000 they better be efficient.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I

Impressed that you got that much. Usually behind a new combine in 100’ lucky to find a handful. They have meters that scream if any corn goes out the back. Everything is monitored on these new machines-for $500,000 they better be efficient.

I had no idea what to expect. I'd say the majority of it were on ears that were split in half but still had the kernels on them. I collected all those and knocked the kernels off.

Latest posts