Corn Thread for 2014

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll have to take a picture of my Yukon Chief one day soon.

I'm in the healthy crop of weeds camp. :\
One time I figured the amount of maintenance time my yard and vegetable garden would take to keep it at peak appearance, and I came up with 20 hours. If I get up at dawn and do a bit of work 5 days a week, and then my typical all day Saturday, I can keep it respectable. The problem I run into about this time of year is bone weariness. After gardening all day elsewhere, I just want to sit down with a tall glass of iced tea and let my eyes glaze over.
I'll be waiting to see the Yukon Chief too!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just noticed last night there are a couple ears starting to form and silks starting on a few. when you pollinate them is it ok to do it after a rain? we've had some wet weather here too and last night i bumped the plants checking them out and realized they were all wet from recent rain storms.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
just noticed last night there are a couple ears starting to form and silks starting on a few. when you pollinate them is it ok to do it after a rain? we've had some wet weather here too and last night i bumped the plants checking them out and realized they were all wet from recent rain storms.
As long as the silks and pollen are dry.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I've learned from all of you that even though weeds rob plants of nutrients, most things seem to grow fairly well along side of them.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been hand pollinating my Oaxacan Green Dent corn because of the lousy pollination I've had so far with other corn varieties. Sure enough it is raining, so glad I am helping nature get the job done.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm waiting as patient as I can to plant my Painted Mountain for this year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm waiting as patient as I can to plant my Painted Mountain for this year.
Mine is shelled and scattered on a piece of white butcher paper to dry, and you're waiting to get planted. The differences in climate and zones does not deter us, it is so interesting to share information with each other.

Reactions: Hal

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
NinnyMary glass gem is a popcorn variety.

I'm actually very careful about my corn planting. We get lots of critters out here that will just devistate corn. Not only that but corn can be a big sign to "come and get it!!!" too so not only do you lost corn but dill, sweet peppers, tomatoes etc. In this part of Michigan have field after field after field of feed corn grown around here so all the critters know it's an easy buffet. But it makes for some VERY tasty venison. Gobs of fat on them helps ensure the meat isn't gamey.

For me unless it's a novelty corn variety (like glass gem or something else I'm planting for looks/or really unique) I'm not going to bother with it. The risk isn't worth the reward.

I'd rather buy it from the stand up the road from us. They own a large U-pick strawberry farm and also sell quite a bit of sweet corn a variety they won't reveal to ANYBODY thats VERY good. Doesn't seem to matter when I go pick up some they always have a number of folks buying some.

With as much as they grow they can take the losses in critter damage and still make it worth their while.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I hadn't thought about the critters. We have squirrels here and my neighbor is always giving them dried corn that's on the cob. I need to at least try it one time.

Mary