1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Member's New Trailer - The Tools & Supplies Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Corn Thread for 2014

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by baymule, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Aug 1, 2014
    Hal

Hal Deeply Rooted

Won't be long now :)

2. Aug 1, 2014
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Mel, that corn looks nice and healthy. What will you do with all of that? Can? Freeze?

Mary

3. Aug 1, 2014
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

@Mel where have you been? I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't go through. Do you have your settings to not allow PM's? Maybe go check on that, you said you would like some Painted Mountain seed, have some for you!

4. Aug 1, 2014
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Looking good, Mel.

The 60+mph wind around here didn't cause me to have to help the corn stand back up. Of course, they are a little less than upright ...

That wind ... I'd just taken the pea vines and trellis down. The tomatoes lost their windbreak. It looks like if it happens again, somebody will have to mail them back to me from Calgary.

Steve

5. Aug 3, 2014
    Jared77

Jared77 Garden Addicted

Looking good Mel.

Mines pushing 6ft hoping to see tasseling any day now...weathers finally holding da time temps in the 80's & field corn has been tasseling so I'm hoping to get a harvest.

If not well there's always next year

6. Aug 4, 2014
    dewdropsinwv

dewdropsinwv Garden Addicted

Not sure how much corn we will get this year. Ours has been blown over a couple of times from the weather also. MontyJ planted 10 rows.... hopefully we will get something out of it! :D

7. Aug 4, 2014
    Mel

Mel Chillin' In The Garden

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I dont get much time on the PC this time of year. Im subscribed to this thread so I do get Email alerts. The weather has been kinda cool and unsettled across most of the northern tier of the country this season and sounds like it has affected many of the " heat loving " plants of the garden. I dared to plant something other that the buttercup or acorn squash this season and unless it stays unusually warm late into the season, doubt if I will get many fruit. Other than being a little labor intensive, the sweetcorn normally does very well here. I havent canned any corn in the recent years. I freeze a lot and some is kept for feed for the freezer chickens and a little is saved or seed of course and a lot is eaten fresh. Originally was started for a non GMO poultry feed as well as for our consumption but that takes a lot of plants, maybe three times more than I have currently, which is already way to much work.
    Bay,Yes I am interested in the corn seed swap for the Painted Mountain or others on this thread also. When my seed is ready, we can all talk more of it then. Also have the Livingston Seeds variety called Earthtones growing in the" upper garden" ( 4 miles away ). Cool looking plants there but a week later and a slower to mature variety. I will get some pictures.
    Wow, We got an inch of rain a week a go and have had over one and three quarter inches of rain since yesterday noon, with a little lightening and thunder but no gusty winds in these storms. Again, that much rain is not normal but Ill take it. Kinda tough on ranchers putting up hay in these conditions though.
    Steve , if you dont mind waiting till December when that NW sweeps out of Canada. we can catch them here and mail them back to you. Save a little postage.
    For almost two weeks straight back in mid July we had a northern wind flow which brought in smoke from wildfires in northern Alberta. Made for spectacular sun rise and sets and was so thick, I believe kept temps lower and the smell and the haze got old quick. More of a pacific flow now.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Hal and baymule like this.
  8. Aug 5, 2014
    Hal

Hal Deeply Rooted

Earthtones is a beautiful dent corn! I hope you get a good crop of ears.

9. Aug 9, 2014
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I saw corn shucks turning brown, so I picked it. We have GREEN corn!!! Here is the first Oaxacan corn to be picked. I didn't get a good stand of corn, but I hand pollinated everyone that I did get. So I'll at least have a good bit of seed for next year. @Sam BigDeer if you want seed, I should have some for you! The Oaxacan Green Dent corn was planted May 26 and I picked the first almost, kinda, sorta,maybe lookin' like it's dry, corn cob yesterday.

Corn green.jpg

10. Aug 9, 2014
    PhilaGardener

PhilaGardener Deeply Rooted

Looks great!