Corn Thread for 2014

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is my second planting of corn -- Country Gentleman sweet corn. The first planting is Blue Jade. The bed is 10' x 5' with plants at 12 inches apart.
corn Country Gentleman.JPG

This shows my raised bed veggie garden. Here's the corn, next to the second planting of potatoes, and the farthest bed has tomatoes with one volunteer pole bean plant (I can't not let volunteers grow). At the bottom front is the first potato bed -- already harvested. I plan to use this bed for making compost for use next spring.

corn-spud-tomato beds.JPG

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looks good! MontyJ is going to be picking our corn later today. It's good!!! We have already had some.
The deer got every tomato I had :hit:barnie Oh well at least I got a couple of green ones for fried tomatoes.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As Gypsy said when she saw what deer did to "her" apple trees, "Get Uncle Frank [someone] to come and kill Bambi!"

I have to agree with that!!! :he :he :he stupid deer.... but I wouldnt just kill it, I'd have Monty J process it and throw it in my freezer and then remind the next deer what happened to it's cousin.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with that!!! :he :he :he stupid deer.... but I wouldnt just kill it, I'd have Monty J process it and throw it in my freezer and then remind the next deer what happened to it's cousin.
Of course, and Gypsy knew that Uncle Frank would do just that. We've gotten dear meat from him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to post this after reading my optimistic blatherings from April....:oops:

The small plot of Yukon Chief grew well, the tallest plant is probably a tad over 5'. Many plants have 2 ears and some 3.
It's ready to start picking so I'll have the taste test for tonight's
dinner.

I never planted my Painted Mtn,or the second planting of Yukon Chief. @Marshalls Japonica was a beautiful container plant though, so I wasn't a complete corn failure.

Yukon Chief corn aug 2014 002.JPG

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to post this after reading my optimistic blatherings from April....:oops:

The small plot of Yukon Chief grew well, the tallest plant is probably a tad over 5'. Many plants have 2 ears and some 3.
It's ready to start picking so I'll have the taste test for tonight's
dinner.

I never planted my Painted Mtn,or the second planting of Yukon Chief. @Marshalls Japonica was a beautiful container plant though, so I wasn't a complete corn failure.

View attachment 4149
You still have some nice Yukon Chief to be proud of.

Latest posts