Corn With 3 Stalks

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn is Silver Queen, a white sweet corn. A neighbor gave me the seed. Anybody ever grow it?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The “middle” plant is the main stalk. Cut it, might as well kill the plant.

that's not what i meant... cut the small ones to the side off, but don't disturb any roots of any of them.

if you were commenting about someone else's comments, nevermind...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your opinion is correct on fully formed ears. Some believe the suckers store 3xtra nutrients and when conditions get rough will canabolize the suckers to make the ears. I tend to believe this.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn is Silver Queen, a white sweet corn. A neighbor gave me the seed. Anybody ever grow it?
To call it a “sweet corn” is a huge exaggeration to me. That said, I know is some southern states (Kentucky & Tennessee) they favor it.
Agree with @thistlebloom (don’t tell her as she gets a big head) but it is a well known established variety.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not either get a big head!
I'm telling mom!
upload_2018-7-6_21-43-56.jpeg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first year in Arkansas that I grew corn I tried three varieties to see what I preferred (what my wife preferred actually). Silver Queen was one of those. It's an SU type, not one of the super sugar enhanced. It had good productivity and I thought it had a good flavor, but it is not as sweet as many people want their corn these days. She preferred a yellow SE variety, Breeder's Choice, so that's what I grew for years.

Hopefully it does well in your part of the world, it should. How well you will like the flavor, well that's personal preference. It's closer to the corn I grew up on, not the supersweet hybrids so popular today.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your opinion is correct on fully formed ears. Some believe the suckers store 3xtra nutrients and when conditions get rough will canabolize the suckers to make the ears. I tend to believe this.
Well, this corn won't see any rough conditions, so off with the suckers. What you say makes sense.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon Walmart had the yellow sweet corn 10 for $1.00 so we got 50 ears. On the way home, we could see the rain, it was pouring at our house. We got 2" of rain! We were thrilled. Gonna finish my coffee, do morning chores and put up cream corn.

Latest posts