Cosmo spring garden 2020

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one with deep purple flesh? I've never tried it in a casserole, maybe I should. The dense texture scared me to try it.
I cubed up both the purple and orange, lightly fried them in hot oil and drained the cubes. I make sweet potato casserole with orange, I section the orange, make orange zest and squeeze orange juice from the membranes after I section the orange slices out. I use brown sugar, cinnamon, a little cloves and mace for spices. I add pecans, stir it all up and bake it.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yummy
I cubed up both the purple and orange, lightly fried them in hot oil and drained the cubes. I make sweet potato casserole with orange, I section the orange, make orange zest and squeeze orange juice from the membranes after I section the orange slices out. I use brown sugar, cinnamon, a little cloves and mace for spices. I add pecans, stir it all up and bake it.
Yummy! Thay sounds good. I'll try this.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't done much in the garden this past 2 weeks. We are still painting the house and it's a slow progress. It looks amazing tho! I walked through it and saw saw a huge head of brocolli which I'll harvest foe tomorrows lunch! The peas are finally producing and we picked a few today. I stole few minutes on friday and stuck some seeds in the dirt and we had 2 days of rain and its growing! It's so much easier to grow in the fall. Next year I'll plan for a bigger fall garden!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We got a light frost last friday night and it damaged the sweet potato vines, luffa vine but surprisingly the peppers were fine. I'll do a big harvest this week and freeze as many peppers as I can for winter use. DH is going to help me harvest the sweet potatoes. After that I'll prepare 2 beds for the garlic planting and tuck in the rest of the garden for winter. Cabbage is heading up nicely and this year I want to make some sauerkraut.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a lot of rain the past 2 days and the garden seem to have come back to life. I planted the garlic 1 week ago today and it's already up! Hoping for another great garlic harvest! We've eaten 2 heads of broccoli already but more are on their way. We will harvest another bed of sweet potatoes today so I can plant some spinach after prepping the bed.

Attachments

• 20201029_103357.jpg
    20201029_103357.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20201029_103408.jpg
    20201029_103408.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 20201029_103550.jpg
    20201029_103550.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20201029_103523.jpg
    20201029_103523.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20201029_103645.jpg
    20201029_103645.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 164

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to get a fig tree to produce figs? I have 5 fig trees all planted in the ground. 2 are Chicago hardy that I just planted this year. The other 3 unknown varieties are 4 years old. The unknown varieties die back to the ground each winter and each spring grow back from the ground. They get about 2-3 feet tall and dont produce any figs. One of the unknown variety is getting a bit bigger each year but still no figs. I'm in zone 7 and our winters temps can get down to the low 20s for few weeks at night and maybe couple of snow days. What should I do? I want figs! Should I cover them? If so, how?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to get a fig tree to produce figs? I have 5 fig trees all planted in the ground. 2 are Chicago hardy that I just planted this year. The other 3 unknown varieties are 4 years old. The unknown varieties die back to the ground each winter and each spring grow back from the ground. They get about 2-3 feet tall and dont produce any figs. One of the unknown variety is getting a bit bigger each year but still no figs. I'm in zone 7 and our winters temps can get down to the low 20s for few weeks at night and maybe couple of snow days. What should I do? I want figs! Should I cover them? If so, how?

how did your hardy plants do?

i'd give up on the ones that are getting repeatedly winter killed unless you don't need the space and are ok with them getting knocked back each cold snap. perhaps we'll have a really warm winter again sometime soon and they'll have a chance.

what you can perhaps try to do is to pile some dirt and then mulch over as much of them as you can so at least that part of the plant won't have to regrow each year. in the spring once danger of frosts are past you can rake the mulch back and spray the dirt away with a hose or whatever.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
how did your hardy plants do?

i'd give up on the ones that are getting repeatedly winter killed unless you don't need the space and are ok with them getting knocked back each cold snap. perhaps we'll have a really warm winter again sometime soon and they'll have a chance.

what you can perhaps try to do is to pile some dirt and then mulch over as much of them as you can so at least that part of the plant won't have to regrow each year. in the spring once danger of frosts are past you can rake the mulch back and spray the dirt away with a hose or whatever.
I will try to mulch them and see how they turn out. This will be the first winter for the chicago hardy variety. I dont need the space I my yard so I'll just let them do their thing I guess.

Latest posts