Cosmo Spring Garden 2022

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had some bbq chicken sandwiches with potato chips and then some orange wedges for a late lunch or early dinner and a bit of chocolate later.

i'm glad that turned out well for you @Cosmo spring garden :)

when i lived in southern Toledo i was within easy walking distance of a Taco Bell and also a coney island that made good gyros and greek salads. my favorite foods from the Taco Bell were the seven layer burrito and the steak soft shell taco. i could get two of each for $4 + tax and that would last me all day. then they raised prices and started changing ingredients and things didn't taste as good so i mostly stopped eating there. the other thing is that Tex-Mex and Mexican foods are not that difficult to do reasonably well and when you have fresh ingredients around they're even better so why waste money eating out when you can do better at home? :) ok, convenience aside... :)

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we had some bbq chicken sandwiches with potato chips and then some orange wedges for a late lunch or early dinner and a bit of chocolate later.

i'm glad that turned out well for you @Cosmo spring garden :)

when i lived in southern Toledo i was within easy walking distance of a Taco Bell and also a coney island that made good gyros and greek salads. my favorite foods from the Taco Bell were the seven layer burrito and the steak soft shell taco. i could get two of each for $4 + tax and that would last me all day. then they raised prices and started changing ingredients and things didn't taste as good so i mostly stopped eating there. the other thing is that Tex-Mex and Mexican foods are not that difficult to do reasonably well and when you have fresh ingredients around they're even better so why waste money eating out when you can do better at home? :) ok, convenience aside... :)
I live seven layer burritos too. But like you said, so much better when made at home.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Canned potatoes today.
I washed them well and pre cooked them for 5 minutes in my instant pot.
Let them cool enough to peel without burning your hands. Choped them and added to jars. Poured boiling water over jars and pressured canned for 40 minutes.
First time canning potatoes. I hope they can be used for fried potatoes. If not,we love mashed potatoes too!

Attachments

• 20221218_194036.jpg
    20221218_194036.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 75

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Canned potatoes today.
I washed them well and pre cooked them for 5 minutes in my instant pot.
Let them cool enough to peel without burning your hands. Choped them and added to jars. Poured boiling water over jars and pressured canned for 40 minutes.
First time canning potatoes. I hope they can be used for fried potatoes. If not,we love mashed potatoes too!
While I can appreciate that this is an effective way to preserve food, so far I only use a water bath canner because I have a bit of a fear of pressure canners. When I was young my auntie had a massive beet that she decided to pressure cook whole. She left the kitchen for a few moments and the whole thing blew. The stove top shot down and embedded in the counter below, the range hood was totalled, and she had beets hanging out of every kitchen cupboard as well as from the light fixture. I am sure that there are new safety features available now, but do you have any concerns that your pressure canner might explode? (Until recently I had a Langostina pressure 'cooker' that I loved to use for cooking meat and vegetables like beets that normally take a long time. Sadly the release valve deteriorated and there are no replacement parts available for it. It was a really nice piece of cookware.)

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
While I can appreciate that this is an effective way to preserve food, so far I only use a water bath canner because I have a bit of a fear of pressure canners. When I was young my auntie had a massive beet that she decided to pressure cook whole. She left the kitchen for a few moments and the whole thing blew. The stove top shot down and embedded in the counter below, the range hood was totalled, and she had beets hanging out of every kitchen cupboard as well as from the light fixture. I am sure that there are new safety features available now, but do you have any concerns that your pressure canner might explode? (Until recently I had a Langostina pressure 'cooker' that I loved to use for cooking meat and vegetables like beets that normally take a long time. Sadly the release valve deteriorated and there are no replacement parts available for it. It was a really nice piece of cookware.)
That is a scary event!
I grew up watching my mom use a pressure cooker so I was used to them. I did hear of them blowing up tho.
I have an all American pressure canner and I feel very comfortable using it now. I was nervous with my first few times but I feel more confident the more I use it.
If you have a friend or someone that pressure cans, you can go watch them do it and even try it with their canner as they guide you.
I have limited freezer space and I don't like pickles that much so I prefer pressure canning.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

it looks like there are parts for that name brand out there so i'm curious how hard you may have looked? but if it is gone it's gone... so... :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it looks like there are parts for that name brand out there so i'm curious how hard you may have looked? but if it is gone it's gone... so... :)
Usually you can order parts online for almost anything, but in this case we searched for months for a new pressure release valve for our model to no avail. After 25 years they must have moved on to new designs, but it is still unfortunate. The stainless steel was of very good quality, and I miss it. Makes me reluctant to order another one of their products, because where possible we like owning items that can be repaired instead of being recycled.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cosmo',

Reports on your satisfaction with this processing for Winter and continuing use will be ...

. Very Much Appreciated.

Steve
So the peppers are still spicy but delicious. I haven't eaten many peppers but I love using the oil for drizzling on salsa and such.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We might try that blanch and store in oil method this year :).

With abundant dried peppers, hot peppers could have been off the list for growing in 2023 but they weren't. And, I am a little tired of dealing with dry peppers.

Also, I like sunflower seed oil ;). Thank You!

Steve