Coturnix Quail and my ugly aviary

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just had an Idea. Would it work if I stretched some really stretchy fabric or netting across the roof, about a foot below, as kind of a shock absorption?

amandacv86

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update! This is all the work I did on it today:

1. Found an old dish brush and along with the spray nozzle on the hose got about 99% of the poo off. It didn't even need the soap, but I am going to spray it with a mild bleach solution tomorrow and let it dry over the weekend.

2. Hammered out all of those perches and shelves that had most of the gunk. I figured if i get other birds I'll just put new ones in.

3. Removed the bird bath.

4. Removed two walls to make one big section. This gave me enough mesh to make a small outdoor area. I'm going to wait and buy some shrubs to put in there when I do this.

5. Swept out most of the floor. It's dirt/sand with some old shell hulls in it. I'm sweeping it until I don't see any more hulls and putting it all in a galvanized trash can to compost or maybe grow something in there for them. We also have a few areas in the yard that need dirt so I'm putting it there, too.

So excited! All I have to do tomorrow is finish sweeping and spray the bleach solution. Oh I need to have hubby put the hinges back on the door that he took off when we were going to use it as a garden shed. :weee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I had quail, they were in large cages with wire bottoms on legs so I didn't have to bend down to care for them. None of them ever broke their necks hitting the walls/wire trying to get away from me. They usually ran toward me because I fed them. :lol: But I have to agree they aren't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

Good luck to you and your quail. I think they will be fine, they certainly have a good quail mommy. :love

Latest posts