could be loosing my garden buddy soon

Chickie'sMomaInNH2019

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
those of you that know me know i have a corgi named Ein. he's my little garden buddy that keeps the chickens in check. when Chickie was still with me they were pretty much attached at the hip. in fact Chickie used to peck at Ein's hip if he didn't move out of the way quick enough! the dog would just grumble and shuffle over for the crazy rooster to walk by!

well on Thursday night Ein refused to eat and laid beside his water dish when that is not his usual area to lay down. he doesn't let me touch his feet without growling or snapping for fear of having his nails clipped. that night he didn't even flinch as the touch. so we rushed him to a local vet & they xrayed & charged over $500 & told me to come back the next morning for an ultrasound. we left with him that night and he just acted sluggish & not doing any business that night or eating any food. i left plenty of water just in case he would drink.

next morning he's acting like his usual self, ate some food & did full business. i later found out i shouldn't have fed him before the ultrasound but didn't matter much. ran him up to the vets for the ultrasound & had to wait a little bit till the vet pulled us into the tiny room. this was the same vet that did another procedure on him 2 years ago that he nearly died twice on the table. she pulled him into their back room for the ultrasound & came back about 15 minutes or so later with the bad news...tumor on spleen & apparently it had started to form a large blood clot. it was suggested to have the spleen removed but she wanted more xrays and another ultrasound of his heart to be sure it wasn't spread to there. she couldn't get him in till later that day.

i decided to leave him there for the day till they could get him back in & i ran to work hoping it was going to be ok & they wouldn't find anything else. i got into work around 11:30 & at 12 i got the call that unfortunately he has another tumor in the middle of the heart blocking part of it from flowing. doc said he'd been a trooper during the whole thing. i'm crying most of the way home during my 45 minute drive i'm lucky i made it without any issues. sat in the driveway & called my dad to let him know what was going on before grabbing my hubby & running back to the vets to talk about what could be done to make Ein comfortable & give us a little more time with him.

not much doc could do since if they tried a blood thinner the clot could just make him bleed & surgery not recommended since he already has anesthesia issues & this has made it to his heart too. its an aggressive cancer when it hits these 2 areas on a dog.

we get there & Ein walked into the room like nothing happened & just wanting to run for the door as quickly as his little legs could move him. he hopped back in the car ready to get home & enjoy life for at least now. i wished they could do something. Ein did have a moment friday night where he tried rolling in the snow but got as far as flopping on his side & letting me roll him over. but this morning he hasn't been acting like he's hurting and did a few rolls in the snow, checked the chickens & did his usual stuff without slowing down. so we are just watching and waiting till he gives us any indication he's hurting and it's his time. we figure he might be with us a few days or maybe a week or two if lucky. i just want him happy till the end.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm very sorry. :hugs It's always hard to lose a good companion like that, especially after you've had them a long time. Recently had to put down my own wonderful dog I'd had since a pup, he was 12 yrs old. It certainly leaves an ache in the soul.

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Im so sorry. I recently had to put down one of my dogs last August that had an aggressive form of lymphatic cancer. I knew when it was time. Just love your furry baby and make him comfortable. Its not easy when you lose a pet you love so much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a blessing in life that our animal companions care about us. And, we can care for them.

Here is Hoping that you have more shared moments with Ein, Chckie'sMoma.

Did you want to have a new start in 2019, changing your avatar? It was embroidery before, an Autumn theme?

DW received a bouquet for her birthday and those are the only flowers I have seen around here in our winter weeks. @Nyboy 's family has asked for support for animal companion care instead of flowers for his funeral but here is an embroidered flower.

223px-Pivoine_rose.jpg

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry. We lost our 7 year old dog Parker last year to pancreatic cancer. Even though we have another pup, 6 months old today, it’s not the same. Love him, treasure each moment and laugh with him. We are here for you when crying time comes. Big hugs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH2019

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It is a blessing in life that our animal companions care about us. And, we can care for them.

Here is Hoping that you have more shared moments with Ein, Chckie'sMoma.

Did you want to have a new start in 2019, changing your avatar? It was embroidery before, an Autumn theme?

DW received a bouquet for her birthday and those are the only flowers I have seen around here in our winter weeks. @Nyboy 's family has asked for support for animal companion care instead of flowers for his funeral but here is an embroidered flower.

223px-Pivoine_rose.jpg

Steve
i had an issue with the 2nd authentication i set up about 2 years ago when some of my accounts were hacked and just before Christmas my old 'smart' phone of the past 3 1/2 years gave up the ghost. so had to get a new phone & set up a bunch of new apps. i remembered to put the Google Authenticator on it but it didn't seem to want to connect with TEG the same way. so, like trying to get the new phone set up i had to do a workaround. this was the best solution.

2018 was the year of spending for new gadgets even though i really don't have much freed-up money & working many hours to pay everything off. (thank goodness most is 0% financing). both DH & i needed new laptops & both had to get new phones due to sudden failures on both. i had been reading the boards all this time i just wasn't always signing in. with all the commotion the past few days i didn't see Alex's news.

i really wanted to ask Alex a few questions about looking at breeders to set up when the time was right again for us. i didn't want to go the same route i did the last time & have what i thought was a rescue dog being flown up from the south in the start & middle of a blizzard. it was not a fun trip to Boston 2 days in a row because the airline couldn't get their info straight if Ein was on the 1st flight or not, or if the flight was even going to come in.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm very very sad for you for Ein. Come to us for long distance cyber hugs and gentle pats on the back.

The monday before Christmas, my baby bro/family took Lucky, their adopted Australian Cattle Dog, in for teeth cleaning and the removal of several large "warts" on his back. He came back Monday night, got thru Xmas day but on Wed started coughing and lost control of his back legs and bowels. They rushed him to the vet, thinking it was a reaction to the anthesia (sp?). Nope. Cancer throughout his belly. Cried and cried and the 15 and 13 yr old went in and held him while he was put to sleep. It breaks our dear hearts to lose our best friends. And no there is never a replacement, like Bay says...they are all inhabiting a separate place in our hearts.

I wonder how many places are in our hearts which can hold the various loves of our lives?

Latest posts