Cowboy toilet paper

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but don't flush baby or personal wipes. Put them in the trash can. They and those little fruit stickers are clogging up many a waste treatment plant in the US.
Those and tapons clog many a toilet... the bane of apartment owners and citys alike. Last winter, our city crews had to clean out the street sewer lines after our street had flooded out when the sewer man hole covers overflowed at our cul de sac due to accumilated tampons plus baby wipes that cloged the sewer line at a downstream junction on the next street over from ours. The fire department came out to hose down our cul de sac sewer debri down the storm drains. :confused:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Disposable and flushable are far, far different things.

We've had the plumbers out for flushed diapers as well. Strange thing, the aging couple didn't even have a baby. No way, they would never flush diapers. Later we found out grandson was living with them and had his infant son over the weekends.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both the Indians and cowboys actually used it as toilet paper. Because of the soft fuzz it was easier on the derrire than most other leaves.
Another traditional use for it was to use the leaves in the bottom of your shoes to avoid sore feet on long walks. The dried stalks are also favorites in Fall flower arrangements but watch out for it. When it gets dry enough the seed pods split open and the seeds are ejected with considerable force. You don't want one hitting you in the eye. If a certain mite attacks the flowers you get what the flower trade calls cobras. The seed head flattens and bows over bearing a strong resemblance to a cobras head. Those are especially prized in the trade.
Thanks Hoodat. I know I can always rely on you to give me an educational answer. Glad to see you posting again. I miss your wisdom.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I doubt anyone ever actually used corn cobs. You may as well use a rasp.
The old joke was you used two red corn cobs and one white one. You used the first red cob then used the white cob to see if you needed the other red one.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmmmm. Maybe it's time to change the topic.
?????? Why ... very importand daily activity ! We all need this type of information if and when we take a time lapse trip to yesteryear or if and when we are stuck out in an outhouse or behind a tree. :D