Cowboy toilet paper

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know I'm coming late to the party here, but for the sake of discussion I want to point out that this is a terribly invasive plant in some regions. In my area (Minnesota) it's all over the sides of highways and loves prairies. It may have super fun leaves, but it kicks out a tremendous amount of seeds are stay viable up to 100 years. If it's invasive in your area and you see it please rip it out.

US Forest Service info sheet
Invasive.org info

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I doubt anyone ever actually used corn cobs. You may as well use a rasp.
The old joke was you used two red corn cobs and one white one. You used the first red cob then used the white cob to see if you needed the other red one.

Yeah, Hoodat, people used them. ;) I've used them.... along with newspaper, catalog pages, etc. Hillbillies of WV are quite familiar with nontraditional items of wipage. :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I'm coming late to the party here, but for the sake of discussion I want to point out that this is a terribly invasive plant in some regions. In my area (Minnesota) it's all over the sides of highways and loves prairies. It may have super fun leaves, but it kicks out a tremendous amount of seeds are stay viable up to 100 years. If it's invasive in your area and you see it please rip it out.

US Forest Service info sheet
Invasive.org info

heck no........ that's the best stuff to wipe your bottom when out in the woods.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
As I understand it, Mullein is a medicinal herbal plant. My grandfather told me how his mother would make a bitter tea from mullein when he and his brother had fever. It would break their fever. That was back in the early 1920's when people were so poor and had few resources. Mullein was a desirable plant! Herbal books have lots of info about mullein too. It grows here, but doesn't take over like described in the above links.

Latest posts