I saw this on CL tonight and thought of you @baymule
00I0I_bpnogReoAmF_600x450.jpg

It's a twofer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious about that, @thejenx .

From an historical perspective ...

Not really, my history - haven't owned a horse (a paint) since my teens. But, from living here where Native Americans grazed their horses on the Palouse.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor came over to help us set it up.

58d0819f-718a-4cad-9cba-f4c92253f71f-jpeg.63758

64d0d5c3-d93f-4b57-a527-e274063ad03e-jpeg.63759

eb83ff91-2ff6-42dc-844a-4090610cdda3-jpeg.63760

9bfddd0f-4d1c-42c9-abdc-855d87a95967-jpeg.63761
Bay after working with thousands of sheep over the years , so been there done that ... may I suggest that you line both sides of the isleway with solid 2x6's ( NO gaps ) to prevent lambs sticking their heads through that wire fence and possibly succumb. Also, a sheep could stick a leg through the wire fence and while struggling or being pushed by another sheep behind it ,start to struggle and break a leg.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so excited to have this equipment, it is making thing so much easier! We have run the sheep through several times and they are getting used to it.
Mary, I straddle the sheep, pick it up by hanging it's front legs over my right arm and holding it's head with my left hand. then my husband gives it the wormer medicine. Giving vaccinations will be easier, I just raise up a pinch of skin and give it subcutaneously. We work them between the 2nd guillotine gate and the end gate. It is still hard work, but we are getting better at it and the sheep are getting more used to it. SOOOOOOO much easier than chasing them around a pen. We get filthy dirty, hot and sweaty and as an added bonus, one or more have peed on my leg, it ran down into my shoe. :lol:

When I find a bargain like this I always think about Alex. :rainbowflower
/Bay... here is how it is done ... hold the sheep's head under it's jaw while standing next to it with one knee ( same side as your hand that is holding the sheep's head) behind the sheep's front leg, then , quickly turn it's head toward it's tail head which makes the sheep roll over your knee and onto it's butt. Grab one of it's front legs with your free hand to steady the sheep between your legs, and you have 2 free hands to do whatever you want to do to the sheep ( give meds, trim wool from udder or tag tail regeon, trim hooves, etc.) Have fun and save your back, sweat and tears ! By the way GREAT BUY !!! :celebrate :weee :ya

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule have you seen the true appaloosa documentary?
No, but I know there are appaloosa marked horses around the world and in other breeds, such as the Knabstrupper-beautiful horses with excellent conformation. The Noriker horse also has appaloosa marked coloring, along with other colors.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got 20 bales of free mulch hay and also got 31 barn kept 4x5 round bales of good hay for $5 ea. Been hauling hay for days now and will still be hauling tomorrow.

I'll be watching for more such bargains as the year progresses and will scavenge any mulch hay I can find so I can roll it out on all the bare soil that logging left behind.

Latest posts