Craving Gone Wrong

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yum yum indeedy... good idea on the cider vinegar splash. i hit them with sriracha sauce too. gives them some heat.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hmm, i don't do boiled eggs that often and have to peel them, i think the worst time is when they are left too long after boiling that they dry out and the peel/skin sticks to the egg white.

i've heard that if you have them already boiled and cold to take them and dunk them for a moment in hot water again to expand the shell, but i've never actually tried that. i'm sure that Julia has described how to do this somewhere... she's usually very good about giving a consistent method but it may also be quite a production. haha... love her...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use the method dickiebird described. Those of us who have chickens know how difficult peeling a hard boiled fresh egg can be. This method is pretty well fool-proof. It helps to have the eggs at room temperature before you put them into boiling water. Taking them from fridge to billing water sometimes will cause a crack.

What do you all use in your deviled eggs? I use sweet relish, a little mayo and mustard, and paprika. Plus the yolk, of course.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone has a 'trick' to the perfect hard boiled eggs. :D
Pulled all together it seems to be: Use fresh (laid that day) eggs that are at least a week old, make sure that they are room temp straight out of the fridge, fill a pot with tap vinegar salted water and carefully drop the eggs into room temp boiling water. Bring to a boil and let them cook for 5 mins. After 25mins, remove from the heat and let them come slowly to room temp while sitting on the burner in an ice bath. Simple as that - the shells will slip right off!
:p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Cane that's my exact method too!

I've tried them all, and sometimes they peel easy and sometimes you cuss 'em. There doesn't ever seem to be the ONE way that works without fail.
Or maybe it's me.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with cat, the worst part of making deviled eggs is the peeling.
The best way I've found is don't use an aluminum pot, bring water to a rolling boil, set eggs in water, turn heat off, let cook for 10 mins.
Have a bowl of ice water made up in advance, put eggs directly into ice water and add ice as it melts.
Let eggs sit and cool.
They will peel much easier using this method.

THANX RICH
None of that works for fresh eggs from the backyard. I have read that steaming them inn a double boiler is the trick.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat did you make some for Easter :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool
I was not feeling great on Easter so I made a giant fancy salad for dinner. I hardboiled some eggs out of their shell boiled directly in the water. The shape was wonkie for the regular deviled eggs so I just sliced them into the salad.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
NY, you just needed real eggs. Nothing about commercial eggs have any flavor, no matter what spices you use. Just....bleah. :sick

Wish you were my neighbor, I'd give you good eggs all the time. Might even devil 'em for ya... though I've never made a deviled egg in my lifetime. It's just not a family thing here.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone has a 'trick' to the perfect hard boiled eggs. :D
Pulled all together it seems to be: Use fresh (laid that day) eggs that are at least a week old, make sure that they are room temp straight out of the fridge, fill a pot with tap vinegar salted water and carefully drop the eggs into room temp boiling water. Bring to a boil and let them cook for 5 mins. After 25mins, remove from the heat and let them come slowly to room temp while sitting on the burner in an ice bath. Simple as that - the shells will slip right off!
:p
:lol::yuckyuck:gig

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
None of that works for fresh eggs from the backyard. I have read that steaming them inn a double boiler is the trick.
The only eggs I have ever hard boiled are our own fresh eggs!!!
I don't think we've had store bought eggs in the house for over 10 or 15 years.

THANX RICH

Latest posts