Crossbow Arrived Going Hunting

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have different sprayers for different products. Although I wash them out after each use I don't want to mix them up. If I've used one for herbicides it is not gong to be used on my veggies. I also use a Sharpie to mark them.

I use the small plastic sprayers. A black Sharpie is pretty permanent on them. I also use it to mark the line that shows where a gallon capacity is. Since that mark is just a raised spot it can be difficult to see.

One of the problems with PI is that birds scatter the seeds. Even if you wipe it out, it can always be reseeded. It's more a case of control rather than permanent eradication.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use Solo backpack sprayers. The manual pump type, they work well.
I do the same as Ridge and mark the gallon lines with marker.

Deer spray can clog the intake to the pressure tank if it's left in the sprayer, which is usually the case for me since I use it so often. In hot weather the repellents tend to coagulate a bit. I thought I had ruined one sprayer and was taking it apart to replace the innards when I found a youtube by a guy that showed how to clean them.
Basically you just spray the inside of the tank with a pressure nozzle down where the intake to the pressure tank is. It works fantastically, cleans the valve out and the sprayer works like new.

The sprayer I started to take apart is still in pieces. :oops:

Most of the time now I pour the unused repellent into a labeled jug for storage and when I need it, pour it through a paint strainer back into my sprayer.

Regarding cleaning out a sprayer after herbicide use, if you put about a cup of baking soda into it and fill with water, run the mixture through the hose end, then dump and rinse well, that will neutralize the herbicide.
But as Ridge said, I dedicate each of my sprayers to a specific use so there's no cross contamination worries.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best thing to clean out with is ammonia. Everything bonds to it. Just cheap household ammonia-also a good source of nitrogen for corn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy go look at leaves tonight. Should see drooping already as it works fast on mine. By weekend, should be brown leaves.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crossbow is my new favorite poison ivy killer, beats roundup hands down. Last weekend I sprayed a large patch, and several thick older vines. When I check today brown dried up dead !!!!!! Feel like I have a chance of making some head room now.

Latest posts