Cry me a river, with a small side of frys

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine 300 pounds of potatoes all going bad. I am happy about my small harvest of maybe 40 pounds of spuds. Good or bad, it is a mere pittance next to your loss! Early harvest time should allow you to get a good deal on purchasing spuds in quantity.

Since getting sick, my garden has become a sampler and test plot rather than a source for total freedom from the grocery. Such a loss is nothing to make light of. Sorry.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, Thistle, sorry to hear about your crop failure. It is especially disheartening when, as you said, you saw that gopher mound but didn't think to do anything at the time. I can't count the number of times I have noticed something and didn't act on it immediately, to my detriment.
It just sounds like you weren't meant to have a potato crop this year, with the deer, gopher and scab.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh no! That must have been disappointing. I had about 60 potato plants and almost all the spuds rotted in the 52 inches of rain. What we harvested was the size of my thumb and would fit in a mason jar.

Too rocky here for gophers, but the fire ants have taken a liking to corn. Still, field mice are my biggest nemesis. I'm like the all you can eat buffet in this arid land.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no! That must have been disappointing. I had about 60 potato plants and almost all the spuds rotted in the 52 inches of rain. What we harvested was the size of my thumb and would fit in a mason jar.

Too rocky here for gophers, but the fire ants have taken a liking to corn. Still, field mice are my biggest nemesis. I'm like the all you can eat buffet in this arid land.

Oh, sorry about your crop failure too Flowerweaver.
I would have thought my soil was too rocky, but the gophers around here have little dozer blades for noses.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no!! That is terrible news! That is the good and bad part about potatoes...you really don't know what you have until it's too late! If the tomatoes are going to flop- you pretty much know it, right away. We have only dug our white- red still in the ground. So far- the deer here don't seem interested. They are out there, but have so far only walked on top of the plants.

Latest posts