Cucumber Pollination Problem

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My onions are not bulbing up. Do I need to uncover the blubs or do they pop up on their own?

Attachments

• onion.jpg
    onion.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 208

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think onions like to be more shallow than you have yours. Can you brush away some of the soil? Some of mine have only about a half inch in the soil, plus the roots. (Not that I am an onion expert. Maybe @digitS' can tell you.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think onions like to be more shallow . . . Maybe @digitS' can tell you.)

Remember, @so lucky , I don't actually have soil on the surface of the garden. The rocks settle after the onions are planted.

I can hill up around green onions and leeks and have more blanched part to them. Bulb onions just kind of rise up as they mature. Are onions maturing this early in the South?

Some call onions a "root crop." The bulb is the base of the leaves. The roots are those stringy white things that hang down after you have pulled it.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep. Onions are actually
APICAL MERISTEMS.

So are Cabbages. Humans like to eat Apical Meristems. So do a lot of other aminals.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apical Meristems. Interesting. Wikipedia says they are like stem cells in aminals. Then, they go ahead and call them stem cells, anyway.

I'd never thought of it. How do all the plant "parts" develop from each other. Well, I guess they don't. They grow from meristems, stem cells.

The onion bulb is fixin' to become a flower and flower stalk.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apical Meristems. Interesting. Wikipedia says they are like stem cells in aminals. Then, they go ahead and call them stem cells, anyway.

I'd never thought of it. How do all the plant "parts" develop from each other. Well, I guess they don't. They grow from meristems, stem cells.

The onion bulb is fixin' to become a flower and flower stalk.

Steve
This seems to be looping back to JackB's experiments. Stem cells, primordial ooze. Magic.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have thought of cabbages as plants with abnormally shortened stems. The leaves grow large but cannot extend themselves because the stem does not provide enough room for that. They'd just be collards or Portuguese kale, otherwise.

Is there more to this characteristic than just selection by humans?

And, I can see how the use of the word "stem" is a bit awkward - they should have invented something . . . that didn't stem from such a broad meaning in the language.

Steve,
personally stemming that line of thinking . . . about cabbages and kings

Latest posts