Cucumbers starting

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aand a chipmunk managed to get in and eat THAT patch of corn! Whadda I have to do to keep this stuff SAFE!?!. Can't trap em' can't shoot em' can't poison em' can't get a dog to hunt em' (those things ARE banned by the HOA).

Laid up some more corn indoors, will lay up additional.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow - you really have bad pest issues. The sad part is the loss of your often irreplaceable seed. It really bothers me when I have a seed crop failure, so I feel your frustration.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
6/21
I had to remove and toss out the corn seed I planted inside last night; it was too old and all went moldy; no germination.
Maybe I'll try that one again if I ever find it again (does anyone know anything about a blue and white Greek Popcorn called something like Evia? I haven't seen any references to it since I bought the packet I don't know how long ago from a company whose name I can't remember (I move the seed to a vial ages ago, so I can't just go and look at the packet)

It's replaced with some more of my mini corn. In fact the LAST of the flinty stuff (everything else is either floury, dent or sweet)

If any of this DOES germinate, when I put it in I am making earth bulwarks around the cages, with bits of sharp stone and brick added. THAT may keep the squirrels and chipmunks out. Though what I will do when the corn gets so wide I have to take the cages away I have no idea (it isn't like last year with the beans, corn can't just be threaded through the holes in the cage so the cage can stay there all year.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aand a chipmunk managed to get in and eat THAT patch of corn! Whadda I have to do to keep this stuff SAFE!?!. Can't trap em' can't shoot em' can't poison em' can't get a dog to hunt em' (those things ARE banned by the HOA).

Laid up some more corn indoors, will lay up additional.

completely wired shut hardware mesh cone, on top put a heavy enough plate of some kind on it with a rock on that to hold it down. no chipmunk can get through harware mesh.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll try it. Though, as I pointed out, eventually, the cone will have to come off. The plants will presumably be to massive for chipmunks by then, but then I guess I begin my battle with the deer and raccoons.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll try it. Though, as I pointed out, eventually, the cone will have to come off. The plants will presumably be to massive for chipmunks by then, but then I guess I begin my battle with the deer and raccoons.

i don't grow corn here, way too many raccoons to even think it would be worth it. chipmunks don't often seem to bother growing plants much at least until the seed heads start to form. then i've seen them jump up to pull down wheat/rye heads and poppy flower pods and i also know they've harvested and stashed soybeans around. i've never seen them do much with corn, but that's perhaps just because we don't grow it so i would only see them in it if i looked at the neighboring field and they were in there.

you could try rat traps baited with peanut butter and sunflower seeds to see if that can thin them out so you can get a crop. due to experiences here i would recommend that you pin the trap down well enough that it can't be dragged away by raccoons, etc.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
you could try rat traps baited with peanut butter and sunflower seeds to see if that can thin them out so you can get a crop. due to experiences here i would recommend that you pin the trap down well enough that it can't be dragged away by raccoons, etc.
I second that recommendation, a few of my traps disappeared that way & I never found any of them. I would also add that dried apricots work well as rodent bait too, the scent attracts them. The rodents eventually get wise to any bait, I alternate between several different baits when the rodent population balloons in late summer.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I repeat (wilth bold on the salient point)

ALL I'm allowed to do is deter or block off, ANY lethal use is prohibited by the HOA (they're the kid of people who think chipmunks and squirrels are "cute" and the MORE of them there are, the better the neighborhood is.

Planted the next batch of corn under the bulwarked cages. Got about 50% germination from the seed, so there is still some life in it, but if I DO work out a method to get it to grow, I'd better step up all the other seed in that batch while some of it is still good.

I also realized I told a lie when I said that was ALL my flint corn. It was only all of the mini flint from that batch. I still have the mid size brown skinned speckled one (though that is even older than the mini) the jar of Glass Gem mini popcorn, plus everything that is still on the cob.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

ALL I'm allowed to do is deter or block off, ANY lethal use is prohibited by the HOA (they're the kid of people who think chipmunks and squirrels are "cute" and the MORE of them there are, the better the neighborhood is.

Planted the next batch of corn under the bulwarked cages. Got about 50% germination from the seed, so there is still some life in it, but if I DO work out a method to get it to grow, I'd better step up all the other seed in that batch while some of it is still good.

I also realized I told a lie when I said that was ALL my flint corn. It was only all of the mini flint from that batch. I still have the mid size brown skinned speckled one (though that is even older than the mini) the jar of Glass Gem mini popcorn, plus everything that is still on the cob.

all i can say at this point is good luck! :) i'm not sure how much time it needs but it seems late now...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Put out food to attract feral cats??? It seems that you have chosen a difficult hobby, given your HOA... or the wrong residence, given your hobby. People have moved for less. ;)

I have to ask, @Pulsegleaner ... is there a less restrictive area for you to garden, within a reasonable distance? While I have fairly substantial gardens around my home now, I spent much of my life with little to no garden space at home (sometimes under restrictions similar to your HOA). I was always able to find a remote garden site, with water - and sometimes power - available. My main garden is still on a rural friend's property, 6 miles away. Many people over the years have been receptive, if I offered a "win-win" proposal.

Your goals & techniques are unique, have great potential, and you put great effort into your work. I hope you can find a site which allows you to pursue your passion with a better chance of success. If you post a "dedicated gardener seeks garden site" message in your local garden or farm & fleet store, you may find willing partners.

As for me, I finally trapped the chipmunk that has been ravaging DW's potted flowers - and some of my bean seedlings. No doubt others will take its place, especially since the long-time resident hawks are no-shows this year.

Latest posts