Cultivating suckers

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody done/do it?

We lost our Cleveland Pear to an ice storm a while back. Well at the stump and about a foot away it's throwing up some suckers. I wasn't sure how reliable they would be go try to nurture and let develop?

The ones on the stump I'm not crazy about because they are at an angle however there is one growing up from the grass that is straight without forking a bunch at the base and looks quite promising. The original tree forked at the base of the ground into 3-4 smaller trunks that were always iffy so wasn't surprised it didn't hold up youths storm that claimed it.

Any dos/don'ts or am I just wasting my time on it?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown new trees from suckers. American Sycamore and Tulip Tree are two that I remember. I am toying with doing the same with my Witch Hazel since it was struck by lightning and now has structural flaws. I have been more than pleased with the results.

I have also tried this (by default) with some dwarf fruit trees. Not a good idea. I have round, fuzzy, pears(?) growing down-side up on the outside tips of one tree and olive-sized apricots(?) protected by long thorns growing on another. So far the apricots haven't been worth the taste.

The answer, of course, depends upon whether the original tree was growing on natural rootstock or was a known variety spliced onto other rootstock.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's in the middle of the front yard and on it's own rootstock. I was afraid it wouldn't be as strong or would take a Herculean effort to get someting that was t hideous.

If it hadn't produced a sucker I'd let it just be open yard but I'm a softy and thought "hmmmm what if"

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Front yard new tree. Cleveland pear is known for fast growth and weak wood. Trees will be going on clearance before winter . Might want to pick a stronger wooded tree if out in the open.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My trees are great lookers, tall and straight. The suckers grew well, upright, and the old trunk has rotted away long since.
american sycamore.JPG
I think I like the new growth better than the old. Anyway, they look great to me and I was happy I didn't have to replace those favorite trees. Here is the Sycamore in winter. Can you tell it is a sucker?

Follow the line of shrubs into the background and you can see the tulip tree before your eyes get to the arborvitae row. Tall and straight and right now, filled with flowers.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it was own root it should do fine if you're committed to having a Cleveland pear. Being a sucker connected to an already established root system it should grow much faster than a similar sized whip would if newly planted. Go with the straight sucker obviously.

Was this a tree you planted Jared, or did it come with the house?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It came with the house. There were 2 of them. 1 was much taller and more of what Id expect from a Cleveland Pear.

The other shaped more like an Eastern Redbud with the wide trunks that snake around. I love red buds but they are totally different than a Cleveland Pear.

The straight sucker was the whole reason I thought to try to grow another tree because it has potential to grow right and be a stronger tree than it's predecessor.

I don't know that I'd ever plant one I'm not opposed to it but it's not a favorite either. If it hadn't come with the house I don't think I'd plant one. I wasn't looking to replace it either, it just decided to give it another go.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly what @Smart Red wrote. We had a dwarf Bartlett shoot off! ( a niece with dangerous aim.) It can back with THORNS. Can't say we have even seen any fruit on it.

Latest posts