Cultivating suckers

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol even if it did fruit, willn't be any good. Your tree was grafted and grew back from rootstock. Sometimes you might get lucky. I think @thistlebloom did with some crab apples. Trees died what grew from roots produced nice apples Very rare !!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol even if it did fruit, willn't be any good. Your tree was grafted and grew back from rootstock. Sometimes you might get lucky. I think @thistlebloom did with some crab apples. Trees died what grew from roots produced nice apples Very rare !!

Yes! It is amazing how those rootstocks made good apples. Three of the four that came back from rootstock produce (so far) and two of those bear heavy. The third one has a few and they are big ones, but not impressive for fresh eating. The fourth tree is smaller with small leaves and hasn't bloomed or produced. The soil on it's end is terrible though.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, @MarthaMitchell, to the best garden forum on the internet!

Smart! At least you're getting paid for your service. In high school I wrote essays for all brother's friends and I wrote all the papers for a co-worker seeking her masters in education. Love writing!

Latest posts