Cut Flowers

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife prefers silk flowers, she now has baskets full in the closet ... they last for years instead of a few days. No need to put them out into the garbaage like real flowers wilt. The silk ones can also be changed out from time to time depending on one's mood and desires at the time. As for smell from flowers, she has quite a few small perfume bottles to scent the air. I will pick some flowers from the garden or some wildflowers for her birthday and Mother's day. :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think cut flowers brighten a room. Would love the luxury of a cutting garden. Vases are one of those things I keep a eye out for a yard sales and flea markets.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pair of heavy vintage vases $3.00
DSCF0666.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't cut mine from outside. I prefer to enjoy them outside while I'm sitting relaxing on a chair with perhaps a glass of wine chatting with hubby. I buy them for special occasions though to have in the house.

My favorite vase is one of those blue antique mason jars. I like the looks of cottage flowers so that's what I buy and they look great in it.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago Oprah did a show at her home. She was showing off her gardens. She said one of the hardest things to over come, was the belief if she cut flowers for house, look of garden would be ruined. She did have large mass planting of flowers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If one expect a vegetable garden to be beautiful, I think there is a good chance that you don't care much about harvesting vegetables ;). These lovely things on magazine covers or garden tours with P. Allen Smith, or someone, I see mostly as wasted effort and wasted food. It's just real tuff to enjoy the food from a vegetable garden and keep it looking 100% neat and lush.

Having a cutting garden 3 or 4 times larger than what is needed for bouquets, might be useful for cuts and outdoor decoration. Think about the deadheading and weeding required ;).

Many plants can have 2 or 3 blooming periods if the flowers are removed before seed begins to develop. Taking a few flowers and leaving most, may mean that the plants move into seed production and additional flowering is suspended. Your cutting garden may come to a dead step!!

It seems best to me to just treat a cutting garden like a vegetable garden, or a vineyard, or something. When something is ready, take it!. If it is beyond what you want, cut it anyway and compost it. At least, the garden is still likely to look green.

Here's a tip for having some beauty in your cutting garden and having spectacular bouquets for the home - make new bouquets frequently!

Keep them no more than a day or two. That way, you can cut the flowers fully open. Flowers on neighboring plants are nearly to that stage. They stay an additional day to lend beauty to the garden, then - indoors they come!

Steve :)

Latest posts