cutting the bottoms off of tomato plants.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If planted in a container, true you could have a problem with watering. Also, if planted shallow or if not watered deep enough.

Since you said that watering sometimes brings it back and sometimes it doesn't then it's safer to assume that watering isn't the issue. However, it may be if you're not watering deep enough or if the plant is in sandier soils.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both Oakland, and Silkie have a good point, which I never thought of, and that is of the plant that is over watered from the get-go, so it doesn't have a deep root structure, therefor drys out rapidly in the heat. Silkies suggestion of deep planting initially, is a good one.

You may be able to top dress with a good mulch to prevent the quick drying out, and see if that helps. I had the similar problem with the container plants in my greenhouse, but since I applied a good layer of top mulch to the containers, the soil stays moisture much longer.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
Is this plant in a container by any chance? It sounds to me like it drys out during the day, due to lack of water. This can happen in the ground as well, if the soil drains quickly. Can you set up any kind of shade for the plant, perhaps a couple of stakes with some landscape fabric stapled to it?

I have had the wilt problem in the past, and the plants never rebounded at all, just kept getting worse and worse, leaves turning black, then stems, then main stem. Tomatos that were forming also turned black. Your problem dosen't sound the same.
I think you hit the nail on the head - next year, I'll be putting my toms somewhere else! The amount of money I'm spending watering the darned thing is too much! Thanks so much for your advice!:bouquet

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bills said:
Both Oakland, and Silkie have a good point, which I never thought of, and that is of the plant that is over watered from the get-go, so it doesn't have a deep root structure, therefor drys out rapidly in the heat. Silkies suggestion of deep planting initially, is a good one.

You may be able to top dress with a good mulch to prevent the quick drying out, and see if that helps. I had the similar problem with the container plants in my greenhouse, but since I applied a good layer of top mulch to the containers, the soil stays moisture much longer.
Thanks to all of you - we had MASSIVE amounts of rain at the beginning of the season and that probably meant, like you all suggestion, that the plant doesn't have a deep root structure.

You guys/gals all rock! Thanks so much!

Latest posts