Dahlias

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks! i'll certainly keep your beautiful flowers in mind!

btw, how are your sheep doing? i wanted to ask what you do with all their fleece? do you sell it off to someone else for processing or do you and the wife use it to make your own yarns?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
thanks! i'll certainly keep your beautiful flowers in mind!

btw, how are your sheep doing? i wanted to ask what you do with all their fleece? do you sell it off to someone else for processing or do you and the wife use it to make your own yarns?
Thanks for asking....the sheep are doing fine.....I'm wintering 42 this season and only have 21 ewes that will lamb next Spring.....down alot from the 167 I had a few years ago..... I sell the "raw' wool to anyone who comes along. Mostly to hand spinners. No wife....happily single. I wouldn't ask my worst enemy to share in the daily chores of all the Dahlias, Sheep, and Chickens...plus the veggies. So....I do it all myself.......and will prob. need therapy soon.....LOL!!!:D

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm one post short of some sort of user privilege, so here's my 10th! Just dug up my dahlias and will be wintering them all over metro Boston.

It worked!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LG said:
I'm one post short of some sort of user privilege, so here's my 10th! Just dug up my dahlias and will be wintering them all over metro Boston.

It worked!
Leah...Again...The "Lady Darlenes" were beautiful...thanks again for helping me get this variety back. I've sent out 2 Tuber orders this last weekend and have 3-4 orders going out this week.....busy time of the year...I'm still digging...have about 500 more plants to go. My ewe sheep are all bred...my Pyncheon chicks are growing and most of the Dahlias are in the basement.....can't wait 'til Spring and start all over again....:/ Please keep me posted and let me know if there are any other varieties you may be interested in...Thanks, Rusty This a photo I found of an early Spring view of part of the dahlia garden....(a few yrs. ago)....
7566_dahlias_8_11_2009_030.jpg
the photo says August...that was when I loaded them into the computer.:cool:

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
..The "Lady Darlenes" were beautiful...
That's great! I hope they made lots of tubers. I'll certainly send some Penhill Dark Monarchs to you in the spring assuming they've had a happy winter. You are a busy guy and I hope you have a good rest this winter and, if you have someone else to keep an eye on the animals, a little while to go someplace warm.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
RustyDHart -- I do have a dahlia question. Do I remove the tubers from the plastic? I've never kept anything over the winter in plastic. I'm guessing I think there needs to be some air movement?

The dahlias you sent look great and now I don't want to store them wrong. In the Baggie or out? Cut holes in the Baggie or not? Move them to paper bags or other storage?

Thanks for the nice variety of tubers and for the help here.

Love, Smart Red

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
RustyDHart -- I do have a dahlia question. Do I remove the tubers from the plastic? I've never kept anything over the winter in plastic. I'm guessing I think there needs to be some air movement?

The dahlias you sent look great and now I don't want to store them wrong. In the Baggie or out? Cut holes in the Baggie or not? Move them to paper bags or other storage?

Thanks for the nice variety of tubers and for the help here.

Love, Smart Red
Linn, I sent you a message.....Thanks again for your Dahlia order and please feel free to ask for any help...Your Dahlia bud, Rusty

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_060.jpg
Thinking Spring....... just checked the Dahlia tubers in the basement for correct temp. and signs of too dry or rotting. Can't wait to start planting. Expecting about 30 lambs this season...they should start arriving in a week or two. I'm going to start a few shorter Dahlia varieties in pots the end of this month and will also start setting some Bantam eggs for hatching. We still have about 3 ft. of snow on the ground and it's in the teens at night here.... One day closer to Spring... Hope all is well with everyone..... Cheers! Rusty

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You really have special Dahlias!

Question: Do all the varieties produce good seed?

Latest posts