Dahlias

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Lovely, Jackb. I wasn't aware you could plant dahlias from seed. I thought you needed tubers?
I used to buy several plants each year from a garden center for about six dollars a plant. This year I purchased two packs of dwarf dahlia seeds for about four dollars, and there are about a hundred seeds left, so growing from seed is certainly cost effective. As the colors are mixed though, I have no idea of what color the flower will be until it blossoms. Not that I care much, as they are all beautiful. . ;)

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LG said:
4 Mackinac Island tubers planted on June 4 in Lexington MA; three sprouted yesterday and the fourth today. I have them in protective custody, which is to say surrounded by a cylinder of hardware cloth attached to two bamboo stakes. It protects them from chipmunks and bunnies who got through the mild winter with a huge population and like to eat certain flowers. They eat bachelor buttons and asters, ignore zinnias and snapdragons. I discourage them by sprinkling the flower bases with cayenne pepper, but I don't kid around with dahlias-- I'll only trust a real barrier.
I'm so glad the tubers are doing well for you.....I planted about 35 of that variety this year.....you'll love the blooms. Keep us posted, Rusty

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:( The Earwigs are out in full force,Leaves are being chomped to bits. I am going to try Neem Oil to see if that will stop them.Fingers crossed it works.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dinner plate dahlia, Purple Gem, that had some earwig damage. I use a fungicide made from boiling garlic cloves to control mildew on the cucumbers in the garden, and I tried tossing the used garlic cloves around the dahlia to see if the garlic would deter earwigs. I have seen no further damage since I put the garlic around the base of the plant. It may not be the garlic at all, perhaps I just got lucky, but I am going to see if it works.

purplegem.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Jackb, please don't tell me you started that dahlia from seed. :/

Mary
My wife came home with two tubers that she bought on sale somewhere, as we have never tried tubers before. I started them in the greenhouse in March and planted them outside in May. The ones I planted from seed are magnificent this year, though the blooms are smaller.

Jack

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Mackinac Islands planted in early June now all have their first buds. Probably 2 weeks until flowers. I am feeding them Alaska Morblooms.

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Whats with the dahlias that butterflies love so much?
Is it because of the colors and nectars?
Uhmn,.. I guess, it's more than that. :D

Latest posts