Dahlias

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am getting into this topic late, but I do grow dahlias every year. Have for over 15 years running. I have a large kidney-shaped bed that I plant them in every year. Up here in Wisconsin we have to dig and store over the winter. I have managed to keep most of the varieties going from the first planting. This is the only flower bed I have that needs yearly digging. Too much work, but I do love the flowers.

This year, probably because of the drought, my dahlia plants are rather stunted and none have started setting buds. I haven't watered them as much as I know I should. Have to make the choice for where water is needed and where it is 'wasted'. I HATE watering! Except to keep valuable plantings alive - not flourishing - I will water a bit, but the veggie garden gets my attention and water.

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8672_007.jpg

The first Mackinac Island bloomed a couple of days ago. All four plants have lots of buds. I'm so pleased and appreciative, Rusty.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear yours flowered. Sure is a beauty!

And here I was thinking my dahlias were really far behind 'normal'. I do know that the plants are stunted - probably from the drought - but they are now full of buds so I should see color soon.

At least I'm hoping. . . . !

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LG said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8672_007.jpg
The first Mackinac Island bloomed a couple of days ago. All four plants have lots of buds. I'm so pleased and appreciative, Rusty.
Whew.....!!! I'm sooooo glad that you got some blooms from them...and again, ...I apologize on the shipping delay. "Mackinac Island" is a great tuber maker as well..... I planted about 1,200 Dahlias this year and about 2/3rds have blooms or big buds......I'm happy. Please keep us posted.... Happy growing!!! Rusty:D

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8672_lady_darlene.jpg
Here's a Lady Darlene (about 6" diameter)

8672_penhill_dark_monarch.jpg
and for the first time I have Penhill Dark Monarchs blooming (they're about 8"). These photos were taken 5 days ago; they are a little bigger and more open now.

LG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We had a frost a couple of days ago, so ahead of it I cut the flowers I had and brought them in. Here are some of them:
8672_4.jpg
3 Penhill Dark Monarchs
8672_3.jpg
Mackinac Islands (with some salvia)
8672_2.jpg
a few on the windowsill with Mackinac Islands, Posicle Toes, and a paler-than-usual Mazama

Thanks again Rusty-- I'll see how they winter and send you some in the spring if I can!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LG said:
We had a frost a couple of days ago, so ahead of it I cut the flowers I had and brought them in. Here are some of them:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8672_4.jpg 3 Penhill Dark Monarchs http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8672_3.jpg Mackinac Islands (with some salvia) http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8672_2.jpg a few on the windowsill with Mackinac Islands, Posicle Toes, and a paler-than-usual Mazama

Thanks again Rusty-- I'll see how they winter and send you some in the spring if I can!
Thanks,.......I'm digging mine up this week.....1,200 plants. I'll miss all of the beautiful flowers this Winter....can't wait 'til Spring again. I'm so glad that "Mackinac Island" did so well for you. I planted 37 plants of that variety this year. I had a few surprises this year...one of my "Vancouvers" produced a Pink "sport".....wonderful pink tones and has it's parent's shape. I hope it breeds true.... I also had white "sports" from my "Strawberry Ice" this year..... used them for a local wedding bouquet.....a local florist also used them and "D-Day" for a Bridal Expo. Please keep me posted....Your Dahlia buddy up North:)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, are you going to start a waiting list for tubers for next year? i'd love to get some now that we're in a bigger house with more land i can work with. i'm looking for mostly white flowers this year, maybe even some purples and lavenders too!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
Rusty, are you going to start a waiting list for tubers for next year? i'd love to get some now that we're in a bigger house with more land i can work with. i'm looking for mostly white flowers this year, maybe even some purples and lavenders too!
I'm sure we can fix you up....either this Fall..(if you want)....or wait 'til next Spring. I have all of these colors and more.....I do keep 6-7 white varieties for weddings.....the local florists buy most of them. Give me a yell!