damn squirrels and birds ...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just planted some barley a week ago and now i have squirrels and birds destroying the planting area :( even with some plastic covering the bed. About half of the area of barely is destroyed, i got so upset and angry when i saw that i felt like going out to buy a gun to shoot them, every year i go through this. Its devasting to have to see that your garden's been destroyed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have too much tolerance for varmints in the garden.

So many of these critters we (us, humans) have caused to be pests. Many didn't live where they are now found - we brought 'em here! Same as these darn weeds - nearly all are interlopers, following us across the globe.

And, then there are animal population explosions because of our farming practices and eradicating their natural predators. So, we can really pay a price for all this.

I'm not willing to pay too high of a price. I'm not putting in a garden just have have it destroyed. Why bother then?

Sam: "A trespasser! Gettin' footy-prints all over my desert!"
Bugs: "What's up, doc?"
Sam: "I'm no doc, ya flea-bitten varmi't! I'm Riff Raff Sam, the riffiest riff that ever riffed the raff!"

I've used row covers to keep birds off newly planted beds. . . .and, cassette tape dancing in the breeze on stakes and a stuffed cat hiding in the foliage and a plastic snake . . .

Rodents . . . well, rodents I really don't like. Ground squirrels and marmots will turn the terrain into a moonscape out here in the West.

Guard your garden . . .

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Buy the gun... it will make you feel better...

I had a shoot at a dog yesterday, too late though... it already destroyed the run to my chick coop! :hit

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks digitS' for that info., i agree to guard the garden. As long as their are ways to keep these critters away from the garden, i'll try it so they do no damage.

Vfem, as much as i would like to buy a gun i believe its illegal here in NY, once i move to NC oneday i shouldnt have any problems with squirrels, there arent too many in Greensboro, i've been their plenty of times and there might be 1 or 2 that i've seen but for the most part not as many there are here where i am.
But there are other critters in NC that we dont have here that oneday i'll have to face when i move.
:( I'm soo sorry to here about your chick coop! i hope none of your chicks were hurt. Try putting electric fence that should definely stop those dogs. I hope you can try to rebuild your coop, its sad though to have things destroyed like that, sometimes its not fair.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We moved the coop and repaired it yesterday. Everyone survived.

I only have a pellet gun... wouldn't kill a large animal. With enough air in it it could probably kill a squirrel. Though I doesn't do much more then sting a 100+ lb dog :barnie

Greensboro isn't a bad area... my husband will be there tomorrow to do a job for work. He travels the state all week long for work. But you can't complain when most of his pay covers 6+ hours of driving a day and only 30 minutes to an hour of actual work. He loves his job!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
We moved the coop and repaired it yesterday. Everyone survived.

I only have a pellet gun... wouldn't kill a large animal. With enough air in it it could probably kill a squirrel. Though I doesn't do much more then sting a 100+ lb dog :barnie

Greensboro isn't a bad area... my husband will be there tomorrow to do a job for work. He travels the state all week long for work. But you can't complain when most of his pay covers 6+ hours of driving a day and only 30 minutes to an hour of actual work. He loves his job!
oh that's good, glad that you repaired the coop and that you didnt lose any chicks. Sounds like your husband has a great job, i would love to drive around NC all day long.