Dandelion Jelly Recipe

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeds!! Who knew?? WOW! This stuff is soooooo good! I roll the green calyx where it joins the stem between my finger and thumb. It loosens up the petals and they come out easier. I totally empty the calyx. It works out to about 100 flowers equals one cup of petals. Spread some of this on buttered toast..... mmmmmm ........Good!

Dandelion Jelly makes about 5-8 oz. jars

4 c. dandelion flower petals, green bits removed
4 c. water

1. Place the dandelion flower petals in a pot and add the water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes, then turn off heat and allow the pot to cool.
2. Use a jelly bag or coffee filter to strain the flowers out of the water, you need 3 c. of dandelion infusion, but may have some extra.

3c. dandelion infusion
1 T lemon juice
1 box Sure-Jell powdered pectin
4 1/2 c. sugar

3. Place dandelion infusion, lemon juice, and pectin powder in a large pot. Whisk together and bring this mixture to a rolling boil.
4. Add all of the sugar at once, stirring constantly, and return the mixture to a rolling boil. Boil 1 minute.
5. Remove the jelly from the heat, skim the foam from the top and ladle into sterilised hot jars. Cover, and process in a water bath 10 minutes.

7949_dandelion_jelly.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@the1honeycomb I had some on buttered toast this morning! It's yummy! I also make tea from the petals. I pick 25 flowers and pull the petals, put them in a pot of water with 3 sprigs of spearmint and boil, then cut off the burner and let it steep. I put in a half gallon pitcher, add water and 1/2 cup sugar--it's yummy!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whew! I just finished making 2 batches of dandelion jelly! I got 10 half pints and 2 end of the batch jars that is not enough to make a jar full. I eat those first!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay do you grow bee balm? You can make a tea out of it ( in the mint family) flower looks like it from Dr Seuss. Humming birds love the red ones.
.......flips to another tab to google bee balm...... Nope, never have grown it, sure looks like it would be fun to grow. Love the flowers! Do you grow it and make tea from it?

Latest posts