Dandelion jelly

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a thread I did last year on dandelions and I posted the recipe for dandelion jelly.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/dandelion-jelly-recipe.13496/

It is easy to separate the green part from the petals. Roll the calyx between your thumb and forefinger, then gently pull the petals from the calyx. Toss calyx and drop petals in a bowl.

I spread some of the petals out on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and let them dry for several days in the house. I use those for tea. I like to boil the dried dandelion petals in a pot with spearmint and turn off the burner to let it steep. Add sugar to taste and serve over ice. Yummy!

The dandelion jelly is well worth the effort. It's easier than picking blackberries out in the field, all stooped over and getting scratched up-but we still go pick blackberries!

LOL Bay, I'm going to have to start a section in my receipe book called "Bay's Goodies". Keep posting your recipes! Love them!

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made 2 batches this year. Have given most away. I like the taste and it is a pretty jelly. Little time consuming pulling the green off but well worth the effort. A fun and tasty gift.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
By cutting above the crown, I lose some of the seed and keep a few of the outer green. Will that ruin the jelly or make it bitter?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"a lot" of the outer green will make your jelly bitter, but i dont know how much is a lot. So...i tried to get some or most of that off too. Honestly I used my fingernails for the whole process, pinch the "butt end" off, then try and peel away those outer green bits. I tried to be time concious about it though too - if i could quickly get 75% or so of the outer green off, and the rest was really stuck on, i just called it good.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
By cutting above the crown, I lose some of the seed and keep a few of the outer green. Will that ruin the jelly or make it bitter?
Seedcorn, hold the picked flower in right hand. Roll the green part between the thumb and forefinger. With the other hand, gently loosen the petals and drop in the bowl. The green parts are bitter. :sick I know you are a HE and HE's don't like to read directions, much less follow directions, but this is fairly easy and I think you are quite capable of this intricate procedure. :gig

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you hold on to all of the yellow petals while you're pulling off the green, you won't lose them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, due to other responsibilities, had to let dandelions sit for 2 days. Water is a greenish yellow color. Did I ruin it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Water should be a yellow orange color. Did you simmer the dandelions or just soak them in water? What steps did you take? Has it been in the refrigerator?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Water should be a yellow orange color. Did you simmer the dandelions or just soak them in water? What steps did you take? Has it been in the refrigerator?
Cut off lower part. Pulled as much green off until I said enough (why only half batch) brought water to boil, simmered 10 minutes. Left in covered quart jar for now 2 days. Strained water through coffee filter. Never in frig yet. Looks yellow with hint of green

Latest posts