Dandelion jelly

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Am trying half patch, some ?'s.

When you pick do you really seperate the yellow from the few green outer part? Clipped the lower part and stem off.

Can I substitute gelatin for pectin?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what you "have" to do, but when I made dandelion wine, I separated the yellow from anything green. It turned out really well. Very drinkable.

Yeah, imagine how long it takes to do that separation by hand, flower by flower. I used a quart of them. I only made it once. That was enough.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree it is a process. Will finish this one time but if it isn't really good, never again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'd need pectin, or else you'd have dandelion jello. ;)

Vfem makes and sells it. I hear it tastes like honey. I need to give it a try too.

ETA: Yep, take off the green stuff, particularly the ones that turn down. They are bitter. I always remove them when I make dandelion fritters.

Sepals, I guess they are.
107709-004-2B888066.gif

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'd need pectin, or else you'd have dandelion jello. ;)

Vfem makes and sells it. I hear it tastes like honey. I need to give it a try too.

ETA: Yep, take off the green stuff, particularly the ones that turn down. They are bitter. I always remove them when I make dandelion fritters.

Sepals, I guess they are.
107709-004-2B888066.gif

Dandelion fritters Journey?
I just mowed my dandeLAWN yesterday.
I could be the fritter queen....

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TRUST ME, dandelion jelly is well worth the effort of picking off all the green bits. I've made a number of batches, and i'm pretty good at getting maybe 90% of the green bits out. But it is sooooooooooo good, best jelly i've ever made. You can collect the dandelions over time too - i pick and de-green them and put in a ziploc in the freezer until i have enough for a whole batch. Glad you mentioned this, i can start collecting today!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I cut about 1/4" above the base. How do you get those outside green ones off without losing quite a bit of the yellow?

Please explain the fritters. Recipe please.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like the Dandelion jelly recipe please. :drool
I plan on a batch of Violet jelly as soon as I can gather up the energy to pick 2 cups of blooms lightly packed! (A lot of violets.) Guess I need to go visit Dad as ours are scarce but his side yard is purple now. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a thread I did last year on dandelions and I posted the recipe for dandelion jelly.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/dandelion-jelly-recipe.13496/

It is easy to separate the green part from the petals. Roll the calyx between your thumb and forefinger, then gently pull the petals from the calyx. Toss calyx and drop petals in a bowl.

I spread some of the petals out on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and let them dry for several days in the house. I use those for tea. I like to boil the dried dandelion petals in a pot with spearmint and turn off the burner to let it steep. Add sugar to taste and serve over ice. Yummy!

The dandelion jelly is well worth the effort. It's easier than picking blackberries out in the field, all stooped over and getting scratched up-but we still go pick blackberries!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I cut about 1/4" above the base. How do you get those outside green ones off without losing quite a bit of the yellow?

Please explain the fritters. Recipe please.

I only take the bottom row of green thingies off (turns out they're called "bracts"). I just pinch them off. The ones that are tightly surrounding the yellow (see pic) can stay on (for fritters at least). I just double-dredge them in egg/milk mixture--seasoned flour--egg/milk--flour again. You can put whatever you want in the flour for flavor. I usually just use salt and pepper. Seasoned salt, garlic salt, herbs...whatever you want. Fry them up in a high-temp oil. Seems you can fritter just about anything, LOL. Deep-fried goodness. :D

I expect you'd want to take off all the green parts, like Bay mentioned how she does for making jelly. The color of the jelly would probably be prettier, and it might effect the taste too, but for fritters the sepals can stay on.

Latest posts