Dandelion jelly

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So...if I understand correctly, the dandelions were soaking in the water after boiling for 2 days? Or were they strained immediately after simmering?

I think it's worth a shot - my liquid had a hint of green for sure. But if it was me, I think I would have strained the dandelions out of the liquid immediately after the 10 minute simmer, and stored in fridge until I had time to make it the rest of the way.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The not being in the refrigerator is what bothers me. But maybe since your climate is cooler than mine, it has not spoiled. Maybe make a pitcher of tea with this batch and start over for the jelly with fresh dandelion petals?

The tea is tasty and refreshing, the jelly tastes like honey and sunshine in a jar. It is definitely worth all the work. Honestly seedcorn, it is harder to cut off the bottom of the calyx and peel the remaining green parts off than it is to roll the calyx in your fingers and gently pull out the yellow petals.......HE's... what do we do with them?? :barnie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't know till I had already done it. Tasted the water after adding sugar and lemon-before adding pectin and boiling again. Did smell the faint aroma of honey. No bitterness. So we will see.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So...if I understand correctly, the dandelions were soaking in the water after boiling for 2 days? Or were they strained immediately after simmering?

I think it's worth a shot - my liquid had a hint of green for sure. But if it was me, I think I would have strained the dandelions out of the liquid immediately after the 10 minute simmer, and stored in fridge until I had time to make it the rest of the way.
No brought to boil, simmered for 10 minutes, soaked for 2 days (covered). Now I finished, so we'll c?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it will be great! (Really I have no idea, but positive thoughts!) Did it set up okay?
No. So I just re boiled, added more pectin and sugar. It is sweet enough and it does smell similar to Honey. Wish wife and kids didn't know it was dandelion. Doesn't set up this time, I'll drink it although too sweet for that. What to cut it with? Could use for sweetener in hot tea.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't set up. More like thick liquid. Like honey. Drats

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not a loss @seedcorn. I had some last year that didn't set up and I used it for pancake syrup. You can also use it to sweeten tea and it makes a good tea by itself. Just dilute it down so it isn't so sweet, add ice! I boil dandelion petals from 25 flowers and a few sprigs of spearmint, then let them steep for a delicious tea.

Try again, it is worth it. And you could butter those biscuits, open face and drizzle your dandelion syrup over them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelion syrup? Great idea. Love me some pancakes to try.

Latest posts