Darn You, Cold Weather!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to look up fress, too, at the time!

The Fedco catalog has a way of drawing you in with glowing reviews, descriptions, and poems. DH and I study it for weeks, each marking our interests. Then we open a bottle of wine and try to hash-out what we will really order. It makes for some interesting discussion! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:) Do you use Pinetree Seeds as a source, Bucka'?

@Chickie'sMomaInNH found that Portuguese kale in her Pinetree catalog. The new one came the other day - I couldn't find those seeds!

I like Pinetree but order very seldom from them. Their packets are so small ... big selection, great prices! I just did a Google "site:" search for Portuguese kale. It makes sense that they put it in their cabbage section but I was worried that my excuse for a seed order might go out the window if I couldn't find it!

With all the "sectional politics" on TEG, it must be nice to realize that there are some important seed companies in your neighborhood, Bucka' ... while being cautious on mentioning the "why's."

I used to admire a field of seed potatoes when I was driving circles in a field next door.

Folks might think that every acre of Idaho grows spuds. Not so!!! I understand that a lot of southern Idaho's seed potatoes come from the mountain valleys of western Montana.

There is a reason to rely on our neighbors for things like that.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? Not every acre in Idaho grows potatoes? I used to think Thistle was surrounded by fields of potatoes! :D And that it was super easy for her to grow them nice and perfect. You've just popped my bubble. :hit

Mary

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, @digitS' I have ordered from Pinetree before, but not in quite a few years. It is a good company, it is just easier to get everything in one place.

Fedco is "local". We drive over to the tree sale each spring, and pick up our seed potato order there. I remember when it was a co-op, and you had to fill out your order on a complicated paper order form with a RED pen.

There are a few varieties I pick up at Johnny's each year. They are also very local, since their store is in Winslow, and I work just across the river in Waterville.

The only things I've had to seek out from far away, are peanut seed, and sweet potatoes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? Not every acre in Idaho grows potatoes? I used to think Thistle was surrounded by fields of potatoes! :D And that it was super easy for her to grow them nice and perfect. You've just popped my bubble. :hit

Mary

I'm surrounded by acres of conifer forest Mary, but don't let that burst your bubble! I still grow potatoes easily, (not perfectly) but pretty productively. :D

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am eager to check my greens again, as it dropped to -5 early Thursday morning. I try to check (and pick) when it is above freezing. That might happen today, as snow changes to sleet. Otherwise, tomorrow is colder, but maybe the sun will warm it up enough in there if I knock today's snow off.
I have not checked in there since last weekend, so the rodents may be having a field day!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ack!

Guard your garden! Every fall, the mice try to move into the chicken house. I set Victor traps. Nine this year! Finally seems to be the end of them ...

As I related to @bills and others, my 3 bean plants are still alive, @buckabucka ! Two look damaged, the healthiest is a tiny thing on the north side of a large pot ... . The Asian greens look happy. This about all I can report from my unheated greenhouse ;).

The bean plants, of course, are not likely to survive much longer but they provide a thermometer of sorts.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's hope the mice are all full! Last time I picked mustard, I found about a dozen little slugs while cleaning it. I finally decided to soak it in salt water a while. I have never eaten escarole, and don't want to start like that.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The greens survived this week's -5. I picked these greens today. If you look carefully, you can see someone else has been biting them! They seem to like the kale best. I am eating them anyway, after washing them, hoping I don't die from rodent germs.
image.jpg

Tonight is supposed to be colder, -10? We'll see. It may be the end of them.