Day lilly ?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m not sure what might be wrong with them. I take a more laid back approach to plant problems, I would just cut them back until about 2” remains above ground and see what comes up next spring.

yeah, at this point...

but if nothing comes up, we'll all have to congratulate you @bobm because i've never known anyone to kill a daylilly... unintentionally...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very strange. I redid an old flower bed and just started planting it out. The soil was like dust. All of the planting around it looked fine, but must also be at least a little dry. Did you have a drought? Water and cut back to about 6 inches.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think you have already spent enough time with this daylilly. The ARE tough, but if you think it's dead, replace it in 2020. Kinda like digging out squash vine borers...the plant is already dead and surgery won't change much. Better to cut it off closer to the roots.
Just like somebody wise HERE said about critters: "When you have livestock, you also have deadstock." I cleaned up my front bed last Fall where I had maybe 100 tulip bulbs. I gave my neighbor ALL of the biggest ones. She wanted to "force them" in the winter, never got around to it, OR planting them. I had gobs of tulips from the bulbs that I put Back into this same bed this Spring, all from medium to small corms, and she killed the ones I gave her. ALL she had to do was dig a hole and pour them in! She would have had a lovely bed of tulips in March! Then, again, she has asked me for advice in the past and taken none. I won't be giving her any more bulbs, NOR any more of my advice.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 3 daylillies about 4 years ago from 3 small plants that I purchaced from the annual Master Gardeners sale at Washington State Vancouver , Wa. campus site ... they have bloomed every year since and have spread . Now the plants have turned brown and now limp to the ground starting about 3 weeks ago. The plants have overwintered as green plants with brown flower stalks before . Question is ... is it going dormant ( didn't do this before ) , or are they dying ( dead )? :idunno
Any chance too much mulch?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very strange. I redid an old flower bed and just started planting it out. The soil was like dust. All of the planting around it looked fine, but must also be at least a little dry. Did you have a drought? Water and cut back to about 6 inches.
No drought... we have been haveing 0.01 to up to half inch every 3-5 days for the last month and a half, so the soil has been mostly moist . The folage is all brown to the soil level, so cutting it back to about 6 inches is a no go.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, at this point...

but if nothing comes up, we'll all have to coMngratulate you @bobm because i've never known anyone to kill a daylilly... unintentionally...[/QUOTE
Are you sending me a blue ribbon for this previously unachieved feat attached to a package containing a MILLION $$$$ cash prize ? :weee :ya

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any chance too much mulch?
I don't think so because I redid this as well as all other beds and hills about 4 years ago , all of the other plants are doing great except for those that were susseptable to verticilium wilt that had succumbed last year. All of resistant flowering plants and ferns that I planted last year are thriving. :cool:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think so because I redid this as well as all other beds and hills about 4 years ago , all of the other plants are doing great except for those that were susseptable to verticilium wilt that had succumbed last year. All of resistant flowering plants and ferns that I planted last year are thriving. :cool:
Daylilies do not like their crown to be too deep.there is something called spring sickness where a plant has distorted leaves in spring. It does not usually kill it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No drought... we have been haveing 0.01 to up to half inch every 3-5 days for the last month and a half, so the soil has been mostly moist . The folage is all brown to the soil level, so cutting it back to about 6 inches is a no go.
there are leaf diseases that most are attributed to nutrient deficiencies. Most are cured with limestone added to the soil.

Latest posts