Day lilly ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the only thing I could find that causes them to rot. I'll let you decide how close to your situation this is. It is interesting that it says to discard all infected materials yet these bacteria are normal soil inhabitants. I've actually done this a few times, not as often as I probably should, but after I dig a diseased plant out I wash and scrub the shovel clean and then soak the head in a bleach solution for a bit to disinfect it. Diseased plants go to the landfill or burn barrel.

Soft Rot: Pectobacterium carotovorum causes bacterial rot at the base of the flowers and in the rhizomes. The bacteria that cause rot are normal soil inhabitants. Disease development is favored by high temperatures, poor air circulation, poor soil drainage and improper fertilization.

Prevention & Treatment: To prevent soft rot, avoid poor soil drainage by amending heavy clay soils with organic matter (such as with composted pine bark or compost), avoid poor air circulation conditions in plant areas, avoid problem planting sites (do not plant susceptible daylily varieties in the same spot where plants show soft rot symptoms), permit wounded plants to heal (cork over) before planting, and do not fertilize or water too much. Discard all infected plant material.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/daylily-diseases-insect-pests/

I don't have any plant suggestions. I'm not familiar with your climate and not sure what kind of plant you want there.
Ridge see my preveous post as to our climate , which is much wetter and `10-19* lower temperature this year ...
Well, it finally got dry enough to dig , so I dug next to the first daylilly. That shovel full yielded a side shoot with a bulb in it... which was mushy. So I continued to dig up the main plant after encountering more mushy roots. So I dug up the entire plant and the results was more of the same. So, I finally dug up the other 2 plants. All showed either mush or start of mush. Oh well ! anyone have a bright idea as to what would be good replacement candidate ? Our climate is mild Mediteraian . Temperature variance can be 15* with snow for a few days in the winter and 98* ( record)in late Aug. with only a sprinkle or two in late summer. Our annual rainfall is about 28" . most of the rainfall varies from a light drizzle to light rain , with some cells producing a gully washer that last less than 1/2 hour producing about an 1" of rainfall for that day. Our soils drain almost immediately with very few puddles that may last a day. Water table varies from over 100' to over 500' depending on your area. :caf
Another thing that I forgot to mention is that last spring, at the advise of the "master gardener Dept. at Washington State University Extention located in Vancouver, Wa. ( our home is about 12 mi. N of the WSU exhibition farm ) I purchased 10 bags of organic forest leaf mold supplemented with about a dozen different soil organisms added to the previous organic leaf mold, peat moss, and pine bark that I added to the flower beds about 3 years before. As for a replacement plant... I am open to anything that will live here. Keep in mind, I lost about 1/2 last year and this spring to verticilium wilt, so the new plant has to be resistant to it.

@bobm it's hard to help when you don't know WHERE you live. Southeast, or Texas, or Alabama would help a LOT. We don't need personal information, like your address or town, just generally your location. Thanks!
We have lived here in SW Washington for the past 7 years . ( formerly in Central Cal. )We are about 20 miles N of Portland, Ore. ( the Columbia R is about a mile wide at the I 5 highway bridge which separates Portland and Vancouver) and about 12 miles N of Vancouver, Wa.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you you mention your zone maybe changed to a lower number but that would mean it has gotten colder there, which i doubt it has... do you really mean it was 5 and is now 6 instead? :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm, PLEASE put WA in your profile. I won't remember next time you post a problem. I will forGET your location...
"names and locations have been changed to protect the innocent."
I will try to post it again, somehow when I post my location, it disapears immediately after I press the button to post. :idunno H E Y !!! it finally worked !!!!! :weee

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ducks4you you mention your zone maybe changed to a lower number but that would mean it has gotten colder there, which i doubt it has... do you really mean it was 5 and is now 6 instead? :)
Nope, I meant it has gotten colder. I look to plant zone 3 or zone 4 perennials so that they will survive our winters. DD's large Rose of Sharon and My large Rose of Sharon both died last winter from the cold and exposure and I was lucky that my roses made it through the -10 to -20 degrees last winter. You can't look at just the summer temperatures.
Btw, my Rose of Sharon had lots of babies that will be moved in 2020. They are all purple.