Daylight Savings Time

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a big fan of DST. I was born with a very strong "internal clock". I'm one of those lucky few who can decide what time I want to get up and 99% of the time will wake up at the appointed hour, plus or minus 5 minutes. No alarm clock needed. Changing the time just messes with that for 2-3 weeks. :(

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it's kind of absurd to just decide to change the time an hour. We are all so "plugged in" that I don't think it matters what time of day it is, people are going to be sucking down the electricity on all of our gadgets anyway. The county I live in borders Hamilton County in Ohio, where Cincinnati is. For a long time, our county would observe dst to be in sync with Cincinnati, while all the surrounding counties didn't. My FIL lived in this county, but worked in a county that was an hour different for half of the year. There's also a couple of school districts that straddled the 2 counties, too. Talk about a logistical nightmare! Now all of IN observes DST, so I guess at least that problem is solved.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Indiana it's worse. Now the kids have to get on the bus in the dark and the whole state doesn't even have the same time as some goes w/Ohio and some w/Illinois.

Stupid governor and people that voted him in as this was one of his campaign promises. About the only one he kept.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The very existence of Daylight Savings Time poses several questions:

▪ Where is all of this "daylight" that we've been diligently "saving" for all of these years?

▪ Is there a "1st National Bank of Daylight" somewhere? If so is our daylight earning interest? What's the APR? Does it have a website where we can check our account balance?

▪ Is the bank insured? What if there's a bank crash? Do we just lose all of that daylight? If that happens, where does the daylight go?

▪ Can we withdraw some daylight if we have an urgent need for it, and is it like an IRA account with a "substantial penalty for early withdrawal"?

▪ What about daylight loans? Can we borrow daylight and pay it back later?

▪ And why are we saving it? Do we expect the sun to not rise one of these days?

▪ If the sun doesn't rise are we going to get back just what we put in plus interest, or is it going to be doled out to those with the most urgent need?

▪ If we work nights can we make extra deposits into our "daylight" account?

▪ What about cloudy days? Do we still save daylight on them, or do we just get partial credit or what? How does that work?

▪ If you live on top of a mountain do you save more daylight than people who live in a valley? After all, the sun actually rises and sets earlier and later due to the lower horizon.

See? This whole daylight savings issue has a lot of questions that we need to be asking. :gig :gig

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was published in an Arkansan newspaper in 2007. No, I did not write it.

You may have noticed that March of this year was particularly hot. As a matter of fact, I understand that it was the hottest March since the beginning of the last century. All of the trees were fully leafed out and legions of bugs and snakes were crawling around during a time in Arkansas when, on a normal year, we might see a snowflake or two.

This should come as no surprise to any reasonable person. As you know, Daylight Saving Time started almost a month early this year. You would think that members of Congress would have considered the warming effect that an extra hour of daylight would have on our climate. Or did they?

Perhaps this is another plot by a liberal Congress to make us believe that global warming is a real threat. Perhaps next time there should be serious studies performed before Congress passes laws with such far-reaching effects.

CONNIE M. MESKIMEN
Hot Springs

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
This was published in an Arkansan newspaper in 2007. No, I did not write it.

You may have noticed that March of this year was particularly hot. As a matter of fact, I understand that it was the hottest March since the beginning of the last century. All of the trees were fully leafed out and legions of bugs and snakes were crawling around during a time in Arkansas when, on a normal year, we might see a snowflake or two.

This should come as no surprise to any reasonable person. As you know, Daylight Saving Time started almost a month early this year. You would think that members of Congress would have considered the warming effect that an extra hour of daylight would have on our climate. Or did they?

Perhaps this is another plot by a liberal Congress to make us believe that global warming is a real threat. Perhaps next time there should be serious studies performed before Congress passes laws with such far-reaching effects.

CONNIE M. MESKIMEN
Hot Springs
Wait, did she just say what I think she said???

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
sparkles2307 said:
Wait, did she just say what I think she said???
I don't know. What did you think she said? :)
I'm trying to figure out how daylight savings time is creating global warming by magically generating an actual extra hour of sunlight per day...

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
I'm trying to figure out how daylight savings time is creating global warming by magically generating an actual extra hour of sunlight per day...
Hopefully she was being facetious as was I when I posted:
OldGuy43 said:
The very existence of Daylight Savings Time poses several questions:

▪ Where is all of this "daylight" that we've been diligently "saving" for all of these years?

▪ Is there a "1st National Bank of Daylight" somewhere? If so is our daylight earning interest? What's the APR? Does it have a website where we can check our account balance?

▪ Is the bank insured? What if there's a bank crash? Do we just lose all of that daylight? If that happens, where does the daylight go?

▪ Can we withdraw some daylight if we have an urgent need for it, and is it like an IRA account with a "substantial penalty for early withdrawal"?

▪ What about daylight loans? Can we borrow daylight and pay it back later?

▪ And why are we saving it? Do we expect the sun to not rise one of these days?

▪ If the sun doesn't rise are we going to get back just what we put in plus interest, or is it going to be doled out to those with the most urgent need?

▪ If we work nights can we make extra deposits into our "daylight" account?

▪ What about cloudy days? Do we still save daylight on them, or do we just get partial credit or what? How does that work?

▪ If you live on top of a mountain do you save more daylight than people who live in a valley? After all, the sun actually rises and sets earlier and later due to the lower horizon.

See? This whole daylight savings issue has a lot of questions that we need to be asking. :gig :gig
Okay? :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a facetious letter. I'm tempted to send it to the Republican candidates to see which ones bite on this "Liberal" plot.

I don't want to start a political rant with that joke. If I had something equally silly called a "Conservative" plot, I'd be equally tempted to send that to the Democrats.

Latest posts