Dead asparagus?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well I dug a hole. wide... and then planted them in there like 2 inches down.. then covered the hole...

imagine.. a 1 foot by 8 foot long 2-3 inch deep hole.. plop them all in there then cover it all back up again..

is that a trench??? good grief when I think of trench I imagine the trenches they build for war... and hide in.. :/

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A 6"-8" depth would be better in my opinion. Have they started sprouting yet? One possibilty might be to create a raised bed for your 'gus...no digging or disturbing the crowns and roots. :)

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My trench was 18" deep and 15" wide, 25' long. I put a good six inches of manure and compost at the bottom and then a layer of soil, mixed it all up, and laid the crowns on top, then covered with a layer of soil mixed with compost. When I was finished it was still 8" deep or so. As the plants grew I drew in more soil around them until the soil was at the same level as the rest of the garden. The point is to prepare a deep root run. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bid said:
A 6"-8" depth would be better in my opinion. Have they started sprouting yet? One possibilty might be to create a raised bed for your 'gus...no digging or disturbing the crowns and roots. :)
ok I did dig at least a shovels worth turned over.. because we put chicken run dirt on top and then turned it in with the shovel.. then I put the roots in deep enough to get the roots in without squishing them LOL

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could do that, but I will warn you, I had a bed out front in a raised bed, and the roots crawled out from under the edges of the bed and ran across the top of the soil. You'd have to make sure that bed was quite wide around the roots for that to work properly.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ann is right, you really need to give them some room.
We ( read my husband) dug a trench 18"deep 16"wide and 50' long.
It took alot of work because we (again my husband) had so many roots and rocks to clear out, but this is going to be a permanent bed so its really necessary to prep it right.
We mixed in fertilizer and soil/compost mix that I had delivered from a local nursery.
The thing with beds like this is that when they are permanent you don't get the chance to do it over again if it doesn't work out as easily as you would with cucumbers or something on that idea.
Thats why I didn't do it sooner, I just couldn't allot the time or space before in time to get them in during the right planting season.

Smom1976 maybe you can dig them up carefully and move them into a new bed, it will be worth it in the end if its more successful for you.
It would be a bummer to lose all the asparagus crowns you already planted.
Although it sounds like people are saying it still may work out for you.
How many did you plant by the way? You are saying the bed is 8 feet long right?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I couldn't move my hands and wrists for two days after digging what I dug of my trench, thank goodness my youngest son came home and dug the last 9' of trench - in about 20 minutes - it took me over six hours to dig the first 16'! We have all of the rocks the glaciers scraped up from the central part of the country!

I would dig a permanent bed and transplant the crowns. It's the only way to guarantee harvests for many, many years.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Isn't it terrible to have to dig through all that stuff.
After digging here for years I just turned all the big digging over to my husband.
I can't get anywhere near as far as he can in the same amount of time.
After he digs up all those big rocks I am in charge of incorporating them into the landscape.
Someday I will build a big ol rock house.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yea, right now I could duplicate my own house with the rocks I've pulled out of the ground! I have a huge pile out there, plus you should see the size of the glacial erratic that's beneath my vegetable garden - it's the size of a right whale - I'm not exagerating! We found it when we had the septic system installed. There's a bit of it showing on top to the side of the veggie garden, it's very deceptive. They were going to blast it out, but most of it is about 6' down, so I said don't bother ($$$).

So the others here know, Natalie and I live within 10 miles of each other.

Back to asparagus.....

Latest posts