Death Of My Uncle's Tree

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It isn't always thus, BUT, often some woman looks at a tree and just doesn't like it, just like they do when they buy a house that has been lovingly redecorated and immediately rips up the kitchen and remodels it. :\
Not every update makes sense, and I would only cut down that maple if it was planted too close to my house, which sometimes happens, though I don't think this was the case with HIS maple.
I live in a 100yo+ farm house. Today our plumber is here replacing 60-70yo pipes full of calcium from our limestone city water. This is a necessary fix and we hope to have decent water presser for our showers from now on. We still use a septic tank, which has been cleaned out 3x in the last 17 years we have been here, 1/2 the time with 4-5 adults using it. It is deep and made of brick and is a work of functioning art.
Our atty associate closes homes and MY septic system won't pass any new inspections. Therefore anybody buying MY property in the near future would have to do a cash purchase and accept anything else that doesn't pass inspections. She moved to a home that has a new septic system, and they pay to have it cleaned out 2x/year. IT is plastic and shallow and IMHO they are gaming the system selling them.
It would cost about $15K to replace it or add the new crummy tank just to satisfy a HARP loan.
DD's are fascinated with how the new owners of their house in C have changed things, include cutting down the big tree in the front yard. They get upset with the changes. I couldn't care less. The place had it's own problems, we got roaches from the neighbors (which we don't have here, so it wasn't lack of a clean house) AND it was haunted, eSPECIALLY the green bedroom!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many homeowners plant young trees too close to the house requiring them to be removed later on.

I see this all the time Cat. Landscapers plant young hemlocks (60+ feet at maturity) that are small and picturesque right under the eaves for example. I have removed lots of those types of errors once the tree reaches roof height.These things are not done by an inexperienced homeowner, but by professional landscapers who know better. But they landscape for the "right now" effect, not for longevity.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see this all the time Cat. Landscapers plant young hemlocks (60+ feet at maturity) that are small and picturesque right under the eaves for example. I have removed lots of those types of errors once the tree reaches roof height.These things are not done by an inexperienced homeowner, but by professional landscapers who know better. But they landscape for the "right now" effect, not for longevity.
I used to watch a landscaper on PBS a while back. Mostly on winter nights while I was desperate for a site of a garden. He did the same design garden after garden-same fluffy plants edging the gardens. I would really get mad when he cut down glorious mature trees because the roots were showing on top of the soil in an "unsightly" manor. And then replace it with a tree that will not mature in anyone's lifetime. I hate those nursery grown perfectly symmetrical trees. Give me an asymmetrical tree with gnarled imperfections anyday.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
My Grandmother on my fathers side died when I was very young. But I have lilac, rose of sharon and hosta that where hers.

I see the way you think~Daddies tool~when I use them~I'm there with him~ That tree~I would feel the same way as you~you didn't bother to describe because you knew some who read~would feel the same~I know there's a word for it ~but melancholy doesn't quite do the job```

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Catjac, I too buy asymetrical maple trees that do not sell . I now have 5 maple trees that I have planted where the trunks are near 45* angle leaning over the dry creek bed meandering through the front and back yards to more mimmick what one sees in Nature.

Latest posts