Decisions Decisions Decisions

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just received my David Austin rose catalog and everything looks gorgeous! I was planning on replacing a Carefree Wonder that is a pain to deadhead with an english rose. Narrowed the selection down to 3. Now I'm thinking I might as well replace my other 2 roses so I will be buying a total of 3 David Austin roses.

Here is my dilemma. Should I buy 3 of the same kind? My perenial bed is small and if all roses were the same, it might make a bigger statement. On the other hand I can choose 3 different ones and see how they perform rather than only seeing how 1 type performs.

What should I do? Pick 3 different ones or get all of them the same?

Mary

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My personal inclination is to get one of everything, and the whole thing ends up hodgepodge, and not in a cute way. So I will advise that you get all the same. Is there a particular one that you fell in love with?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far my top 4 choices are:

The Lady Gardener (apricot color)
Princess Alexandra of Kent (pink)
Molineux (yellow)
Perdita (apricot blush)

These all have strong fagrance, around 3-4ft, and for my zone.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Match your personality. Are you organized and looking for a formal garden effect? Then get all three the same. If you are more of a disorganized hodge-podge, which I can lay claim to, get three different ones.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where she lives I don't think Mary will have much trouble with deer, though I could be wrong.

Around here the deer don't bother my roses. I gave up trying to grow tulips because of the deer and they have done a lot of damage to various shrubs and small trees. I don't like deer.

It's interesting how we have different experiences. I have a red and a purple tea rose right next to the house but a pink knockout rose is on the corner of a workshop right near where they pass through every night on the way to water. They just don't bother it.

Latest posts