Decisions Decisions Decisions

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote own root and fragrant! IMO if a rose doesn't smell wonderful there's no point to it being in the garden. That's a bias I only hold to roses.
........Spring pruning with all those thorns- shudder -!

Those are beautiful selections Mary.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lavender2 , I've had at least one of the Griffith Buck roses. I think it was Chuckles. That was years ago and I've done so many bed enlargements, revisions and rearranging that I don't remember whatever became of it. Thanks for that link, those are great!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last summer was not very hot here and they did very well. We got some rain too and that one is planted where any overflow from my rain barrel goes to them. The previous year was their first full year here and they did pretty well in the heat though I watered some. I deadheaded some and that helped but they still bloomed when I did not keep up on deadheading as well as I should. it's not that fragrant but it is very pretty. It had so many blooms I was tempted to make rose petal jelly but I'd want it darker for jelly plus it really was not that fragrant. I don't use food coloring to color my jelly. Natural colors only and I don't think that pink would look that good.

The only problem I had with it was that it got top-heavy and fell over, maybe in the wind with that wet soil. I tied it back to a wall to support it. I'm happy with that pink Knockout but I don't know which variety it is.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i really like the apricots colors, which ever color you choose just make sure they smell wonderful

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you tried Griffith Buck Roses ?

I gave up on the hybrid teas and other tender types years ago, too much Fall maintenance for me. The sub-zero shrub blooms are not quite as large usually, but they are so much less work and most are very disease resistant.
I see @Ridgerunner has knockout roses, was wondering how they held up in the heat.
May have to convince DH to try Austin David or Griffith buck roses. (If he still thinks they are worth the trouble!)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone sells roses that are for weather that is colder than crud in the winter sometimes, and damp and warm sometimes, then hotter than a skillet, dry and windy sometimes in the summer, and damp and hot other times, drought conditions half the time and flood the other half, that is disease resistant and smells really good......and is strikingly beautiful?
I'll take 4 of those, please.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone sells roses that are for weather that is colder than crud in the winter sometimes, and damp and warm sometimes, then hotter than a skillet, dry and windy sometimes in the summer, and damp and hot other times, drought conditions half the time and flood the other half, that is disease resistant and smells really good......and is strikingly beautiful?
@so lucky Me too!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live very close to Roseland that ships roses all over the country. I used to get a dozen or so roses every year and was always enticed by the new large gorgeous hybrid tea roses. Even with careful covering I lost many of them. Then I started buying only those marked for exceptional hardiness. I cover the crown with a bit of leaves and they thrive in my garden. With my new obsession being daylilies I have to stay away from Roseland or I cannot resist all of the temptation.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Get three different roses. Mid American Gardener hammers home this every other week. People want to plant mono-cultures of things like evergreen windbreaks. Their advice is to use different ones bc if one gets a disease you won't transfer it to all of the others and lose them all.
I have a whole bunch of different mini and full sized roses close to but not next to each other. They all looked great this year and it was visually interesting.
I even had to dig up one rose in September after it had become established bc I planted it too close to an established chrysanthemum and it wasn't getting enough light. I just flooded it, then dug it up and moved it 8 inches away. It transplanted just fine and kept blooming, just as if I hadn't touched it.
um...where are the pictures?!?!? ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Oh that's right, you live in Missouri, where you get everyones weather eventually.

Have you ever tried any species rugosas @so lucky ?
They're tough, disease resistant if not actually disease free, smell great, maybe not so much strikingly beautiful, but pretty. Most of them are more for background type plantings because they can get great big, and they tend to sucker. The deer even tend to avoid them more, I guess because they are super thorny.

Latest posts