deep fried beets

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The white beets had delicious greens and the way I like beets is very small, just pull and cook the entire plant. The mature roots are only "okay," in my book.

I had very few of the white beets and decided to try them as a soup but not bortsch, not cold! While I'm peeling, I'm thinking how they remind me of turnips. Without the smell. They smell a little like beets but mostly just sweet. Turnips? I will flavor my cream of beet soup with mustard!

It was good. The second time, I left out the star anise and it was better. Real simple but an okay way to use them. They might be bland deep fried but I don't know. Fun to have them and I plan on more this year.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky maybe your not making them right. I thought they where gross till once in a restaurant I had this tasty vegetable I couldn't place. Could have knocked me over with a feather when the waiter said beets.

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Read somewhere, so take with a grain of salt, that to some people beets taste like dirt and cilantro tastes like soap. Like beets but cilantro tastes like soap to me.

Latest posts