deep fried beets

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since having a hour drive each way, of course having a senior brain fart every time i think about it.
was able to think clearly this afternoon< ok for a moment>
dw and i were talking about beets, so i finally googled deep fried beets. well dang

there you go another way to do them.. basally it's tempura with a few extra steps... looks like a great winter time recipe that you can add others veggies to..

http://www.goodfoodstories.com/deep-fried-beets/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of fried veggies, I had fried cauliflower for the first time and it was yummy! No batter though.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never really cared for pickled (or Harvard) beets. Boy, growing them yourself sure changes your taste buds. I love them! Two years ago I grew 6 different varieties of beets. Every one a winner in my tasting book!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did the different varieties taste different?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not significantly. I preferred the golden beets, but bulls blood was probably a bit sweeter. I think the ground has as much to do with beet taste as the variety does.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' kicking myself in the pants, when ordering the colored carrots forgot to order a pack of the white beets, oh well the gardens are going to be busy the season.
still might get a wild hair and buy a pack for this fall..

@seedcorn since only have grown red ace and bolder beets, you can taste a slight difference, like @Smart Red mentioned we also like the golden beets better...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beets, the bunnies LOVE the beets. We replanted 2X last year and the rabbits kept finding ways to get in and eat them ALL. Hope to keep rabbits out this year, working on better fencing.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
before putting up chicken wire around the beds the rabbits only wanted to find a place to nest, they never bothered anything growing...
now the corn is another story.. why do birds pull up corn sprouts and nothing else in the beds?????

Latest posts