Deer and Rabbit Deterrent

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At the moment I don't live where deer are a problem and I don't let my rabbits run loose but I do have cats digging in my seedling beds and dogs wandering thru leaving their mess behind them. I also have a small varmint eating my 'maters. The link below has some great info on using Irish Spring soap to deter deer and rabbits. I am going to try it for the varmint problem and hope it works on the cats and dogs as well.

Has anyone tried using soap, shredded or otherwise, in their gardens?
garden shredded soap2.jpg

http://www.hometalk.com/29714937/s-30-helpful-gardening-tips-you-ll-want-to-know?page_num=2

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One night deer ate a lot of my sweet potato vines. I got a couple of bars of Irish S[ring soap, cut them into small pieces, and scattered them among my sweet potatoes. That night th eder ate a lot more of my sweet potato vines. I now have a deer fence around the garden.

Let us know your story when it's over. Good luck!

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never tried it but have heard of it. Let me know if it works.

Let us know your story when it's over. Good luck!

Will do! I am planning on trying it here at home right away and if I get any sign of it working I will test it up at camp next year, lots of deer, elk and bunnies to deter there.
Sorry 'bout your sweet potato vines Ridgerunner, perhaps it was because they had already got a taste of them?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what Irish Spring costs, but it might be more cost effective
to use a commercial deterrent. Just sayin'...in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

There are many which last a couple of months, even through rain and snow. I can validate the ease and effectiveness of several brands.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what Irish Spring costs, but it might be more cost effective
to use a commercial deterrent. Just sayin'...in case it doesn't work as well as you hope.

There are many which last a couple of months, even through rain and snow. I can validate the ease and effectiveness of several brands.
Well share. Don't keep it to yourself.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother once washed my mouth out with soap, was a couple of days before things stopped tasting of soap. I wonder if today that would be considered child abuse ?

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first year I had a garden at this house had problems with rabbits and deer. Hung bars of Irish Spring soap around the garden and shaved pieces around the beans. Did not have any more problems. Don't know if it worked or if they just moved on.

Latest posts