Deer and Rabbit Deterrent

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If a deer wouldn't move, a pellet in the side will get his attention.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What y'all are describing with the deer would have Southern Rednecks (poachers) drooling, twitching their trigger finger uncontrollably, and getting their Q-beam light ready. Y'all need to put out a call to Bubba, Spook, Jim Bob, Earl, Rupert Ray and Boo. Tell 'em it's illegal, they'll go to jail if caught and they can keep all the meat if they can outrun the cops.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can be. Some are BB guns only, some are dual. Mine is a dual. BB's make anything I'm shooting at scat. If I want it dead, shotgun.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://legalbeagle.com/7614514-pellet-gun-regulations-massachusetts.html

Pellet Gun Regulations in Massachusetts
By Marguerite Gautier
laws-bb-guns-1.1-800x800.jpg

cub scouts shooting bb guns image by pixelcarpenter from Fotolia.com

Pellet guns, also known as "BB" guns, are air guns that shoot ball bearings. These ball bearings are about the size of a single piece of lead shot in a shotgun shell. The Brady Act under federal law restricts ownership and use of pellet guns in certain circumstances. Some states have also enacted laws regarding pellet guns, one of which is Massachusetts. Its laws pertain to "air guns or BB guns."

Sale or Provision of Pellet Guns to Minors
According to Massachusetts General Law Part IV, Title 1, Chapter 269, Section 12A, no one may sell a pellet gun to a minor under the age of 18. No one who is not his parent, guardian, teacher or instructor may furnish a minor with a pellet gun. The punishment is a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $200 or imprisonment for not more than six months.

Possession by Minors
Section 12B forbids a minor from carrying a pellet gun in any place of public access unless he is accompanied by an adult or has a sporting or hunting license and has a permit from the chief of police of his town of residence granting him the right to carry it. The minor may discharge the gun when accompanied by an adult or when he has a sporting or hunting license.

General Use
No one is allowed to discharge a pellet gun in public areas. Section 12B makes clear that this includes shooting "from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way." Whoever violates Section 12B will be fined not more than $100 and the gun will be confiscated and disposed of by the colonel of the state police.

Looks like most of this is about minors. I couldn't find anything here that would stop an adult from using one on their own property.

I didn't think all "pellet" guns were BB guns either, I guess it depends on your definition. Some air guns shoot a different projectile, some bigger than a BB and are pretty powerful. I'm not sure where these fall in Massachusetts' regulations.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I still lived in the country I used my wrist-rocket (slingshot) with white marbles. I got proficient enuff to hit the crows in my garden and it sure chased the deer off. I even found some of my "shot" so I could reuse them. I even used to hunt grouse with it. No noise and very inexpensive.
The downside of using any projectile type deterrent is you have to be there and see the culprit. Darn deer and bunnies like to sneak attack in the night.
"When the humans sleep we can eat." :barnie

Latest posts