Deer Season 2018

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh...then there wouldn't be anything left but bare bones for the dogs. ;) The cartilage, meat fragments and left over marrow are what I want them to have, more so than just the bone itself.

some of that has enough fat and moisture and likely will smell, smoking it may hide some of that smell, but i'd notice the fats if they go rancid.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup the swamp mosquitoes are definitely not in the swamps at the moment...just so all you know they get about an inch long
5ZLL6ZRLAZXHZR6HBH8HOHNHNZ2HNZ8LHR7L1ZXLNZEHYH8LPZ8LHREHYHPH3HXHBHIHPZIH1HIHYHPHUZGL1ZXL.jpg

nasty little sh!ts

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be careful of baked bones for your dogs @Beekissed . I bought one at the feed store for my dogs and it shattered easily when they
chewed it. I worried about a pierced gut.

Most deer bones are pretty thin anyway and shatter while raw also..or splinter. These dogs are well practiced with such bones and eat cooked and raw chicken bones with ease, as well as the raw and cooked deer bones.

They also regularly get basted bones from the feed store, some big and unable to be consumed other than the cartilage and left on meat and sinew, and others that are thinner and able to be eaten, like ribs.

Maybe smaller dogs are prone to getting perforations from such things? but I've never had one of our dogs ever have a problem with any bone given except when they were too old to crunch them up good and got a little constipated from it all.

My son got on the board yesterday afternoon. He sat in the stand we put up at the farm, the bean eating heifer stand as we call it Lol. Anyway....He connected with one of the bean eating heifers! My grandson and I were planting turnips not 300 yds. from were the stand was, bout dark he called me...yall still here, yep headed out the gate....well turn around and help me get this deer out the bottom. She ran 30ish yards, my son had already found her, but we let my grandson blood trail her, he was so focused on finding the next blood spot, he just about tripped on the deer.... looked up and said there it is Lol. She tipped the scale at 96.2 lbs.
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

:drool:drool:drool Great that your teaching your grandson to hunt.

The way we live, its one of the most important things we as a family can teach him, along with gardening, and raising livestock. As a father and grandfather, I feel I owe it to my children and their children to teach them how to provide for themselves. If every grocery store in America were to close today, 80% the people in this country would not know how to fend for themselves. I was raised this way so it comes second nature, but my kids and grandkids will have to be groomed. They see it on TV how easy it is to just go out and buy it, but my kids know there is another way, a better way, its not easy by any means, but it is more gratifying and honestly more healthy than just going out and buying it. As the season goes on and this thread is updated, you'll begin to see what I mean, its not just hunting season for us, most of our yearly meat will be harvested during the next 3 months.