Deer Season 2018

Speaking of possums.....Last night we processed the 2 bucks we harvested last week. Put up 10 bags of tenderloin steaks, a couple bags of tenderloin roast, 4 full front shoulders, 1 neck roast, and 30 lbs. of sausage. My son and his girlfriend "Possum" came home with 2 more does, one was 88 lbs. the other was 126 lbs. They will both be put up in hamburger. We're at about the halfway point of were I like to be at the end of the season. We still have plenty of time and plenty of tags. Once I get a little more hamburger and sausage put up, I'll start working on cube steak and whole roast, rib roast, top round and cube steak.

These does will be processed Thursday, hopefully we can get 2 more down this coming Friday or Saturday.

aaron and possum.jpg

Yep...she's about as sweet a person you ever want to meet, told me she's been called that as far back as she can remember. My grandson calls her aunt poppy, Go figure, We've always called my son "mudcat". People hear me say that and look at me funny.....I don't think they actually know what it is Lol.

Well today is the last day of the season. Im satisfied that the freezer is as full as we need it to be. Total for this years harvest was 4 bucks and 12 does. Total live weight was 1476.4 lbs. processed weight I imagine is around 650-700 lbs. (I usually don't keep up with that). I'm thankful for the success and good times we had together this year. I got to share the deer stand with my grandson for the first time, and show him the process from start to finish. He's hooked, I can tell already.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a LOT of deer! We’re you on a lease? Congrats on filling the frezer and having a great time with your grandson.

That is a LOT of deer! We’re you on a lease? Congrats on filling the frezer and having a great time with your grandson.

Yes. Besides my Land we have a total of 800 some odd acres that we lease. Its from a good friend of the family, and he only ask for the yearly tax's so we're lucky. Going rate for good land around here is $10-$15 bucks an acre for a lease.

Holey moley. I don't think anyone can get anywhere near those numbers out here.

Its not that hard around here. Every year is different but we always manage to average 10-12 a year. This year we were seeing a lot more deer than average. I think coyote numbers are way down around here since the bounty went on them.

This number sounds high, but if history repeats itself, by August we will be scraping the bottom of the freezer looking for the last of it, ready for the season to come back in.

Latest posts